Principal Software Engineer - CockroachDB
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, December 6, 2023
At Wasabi, we’re a proven collection of pioneers, visionaries and disruptive doers. We see things differently than our competitors, and we make our mark in the industry by challenging the norm and delivering the unexpected and improbable. We’re a fast-growing company taking the Cloud Storage industry by storm and recognized as one of the best places to work in Boston.
Wasabi hot cloud storage is a new class and category of cloud storage, breaking all traditional barriers and boundaries of storage with a disruptive value proposition of being 1/5th the cost of AWS S3, faster than the competition, with no fees for egress or API request and delivered as a single-tier solution. Cloud storage has never been so simple, so fast and so inexpensive. It’s all part of our vision to make cloud storage the next great global utility, just like electricity.
Role Description: Principal Software Engineering - CockroachDB
Wasabi is seeking a Principal Software Engineer with a specialized focus on CockroachDB. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible for leveraging your expertise in SQL and distributed systems to design, develop, and optimize robust metadata storage solutions that will scale to trillions of records. Your leadership will guide the evolution of our database infrastructure, ensuring high availability, scalability, security, and performance. You will work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, sharing your knowledge and insights to drive the continuous enhancement of our systems.
*Principals Only. No Recruiters.
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of complex CockroachDB solutions, ensuring scalability, reliability, and performance.
- Drive architectural decisions, providing technical guidance and expertise in CockroachDB implementation across projects.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define and execute strategies for optimizing database performance and resolving challenges.
- Mentor and support engineering teams, fostering a culture of innovation, and ensuring adherence to best practices in CockroachDB utilization.
- Educational Background: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- SQL Expertise: Strong proficiency in SQL with proven experience in any SQL-based database system. Demonstrated understanding of SQL database concepts and efficiency in query optimization.
- Professional Experience: 7+ years of experience in software engineering with a focus on database technologies. Exceptional candidates with less experience will also be considered.
- SQL and Database Language Proficiency: Demonstrated ability to write efficient, optimized SQL queries and familiarity with related database languages.
- Communication and Teamwork: Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively work in a team environment. Openness to both learning from and contributing to team knowledge.
- Adaptability: Ability to adapt to a fast-paced and dynamic work environment, focusing on delivering tangible results and efficient execution.
- Proven experience contributing to open source projects: We expect to make both large and small contributions to the CockroachDB core codebase. Willingness and ability to contribute to the upstream CockroachDB codebase is required.
- Nice to have:
- Distributed Systems Knowledge: Experience with or understanding of distributed metadata storage solutions (e.g. Cassandra).
- Cloud Storage Knowledge: Although object data storage and client facing APIs are not this teams primary responsibility, knowledge of S3 or other cloud storage solutions would be appreciated.
Wasabi Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.