Portfolio Underwriter (Multiple Levels)
Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customers -high growth and innovative companies. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch is a Virtual First Workplace with San Francisco, New York City, and Chicago office locations. While this role has hybrid-work flexibility, it is ideally based in Chicago to attend in-person collaboration and team events periodically. This role will work through our core collaboration hours (8:30 am - 2:30 pm Pacific Time.)
Vouch is seeking a dynamic, goal-oriented, and creative Portfolio Underwriter, a role requiring deep expertise in professional and/or management liability lines and a solid understanding of standard (P&C) coverages. Your key responsibilities will be to drive profitable growth within one or more of our innovation-focused insurance portfolios. You will play a key role in achieving specific growth targets and maintaining optimal loss ratio goals across various insurance products in a vertical. You will be tasked with delivering both strategic and tactical portfolio management outcomes, underwriting complex accounts, while consistently driving improvements in underwriting efficiency and effectiveness.
Eager to embark on your next adventure in the dynamic world of business insurance but don’t see the perfect opening? No worries! Submit your application, share more about your “ideal role,” and let's discuss if there may be a fit! Our recruiting team is on the lookout for trailblazers, and with exciting roles launching in the months ahead, your dream job might be just around the corner. Join the excitement—your future at Vouch awaits!
- Develop and deliver an effective portfolio management framework for an Innovation economy vertical, providing actionable insights that continuously inform adjustments to underwriting strategy, appetite guides, guidelines, coverages, and pricing through careful monitoring of key portfolio signals and external developments in legislative, economic, and competitive landscapes
- Facilitate effective knowledge transfer, ensuring the team is well-versed in current underwriting practices and emerging issues
- Deliver target GWP and loss ratios for managed portfolios
- Underwrite complex accounts and ensure adherence to Vouch’s strategy, guidelines, and reinsurance considerations and refer accounts to the Head of Underwriting as required
- Collaborate closely with the sales and Insurance Product Development teams to understand customer needs and proffer creative underwriting solutions that differentiate Vouch in the marketplace while delivering GWP and Loss Ratio targets
- Continuously seek ways to standardize the decision-making process from a quantitative and qualitative standpoint to inform and augment our underwriting processes
- Deliver actionable underwriting decision-making and process improvement proposals
- Share product and knowledge expertise through direct communication with clients, training and teaching opportunities, as well as external engagements
- 5+ Years of Experience in underwriting Management and/or Professional Liability lines with either Portfolio and/or P&L accountabilities and direct underwriting responsibilities
- Understanding of all key P&C lines of insurance and desire to learn new lines
- Ability to demonstrate relentless commitment to GWP Growth and Loss Ratio performance through inquisitiveness in getting at root causes of portfolio performance issues
- Experience working with actuarial, legal, product development, and compliance teams to deliver key underwriting insights to drive changes to underwriting, coverage, and pricing
- Proven ability to drive creative and innovative solutions with customers and profitability in mind
- Experience in delivering complex projects from ideation through execution
- Keen ability to prioritize high-impact work, manage multiple projects in a dynamic environment, and continuously look for opportunities to improve underwriting efficiency and effectiveness
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective relationships with team members and external stakeholders
Nice to have:
- Exposure to and passion for early-stage startups and/or high-growth environments
- Experience is a direct sales organization
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
The pay range for this role is: $100,000 to $170,000 per year. These bands are inclusive of multiple levels and are based on relevant experience. These roles will also be eligible for an annual discretionary bonus in addition to their base salary.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry and are one part of our total compensation package that also includes benefits and other perks. We also include stock options in all compensation packages and believe all Vouch employees should have the opportunity to become owners in the company.
Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skill set, location, and business need. The base pay range provided is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Vouch believes in putting our people first, and building a diverse team is at the front of everything we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ranges of abilities. We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to . #LI-Remote