Associate Principal Bioinformatics Engineer, Solutions Architect
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2023
Verge Genomics is seeking a senior bioinformatics engineer to help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed. You’ll work closely with our diverse engineering team to build multi-omics analysis software that radically unlocks the time, cost, and usability of our drug discovery methods. Join us!
Who We Are:
Technology has transformed almost every single aspect of our lives. Yet, it still takes more than 12 years to develop a drug. Today thousands of diseases affecting hundreds of millions of people have no effective treatment. Accelerating the pace of discovering and developing effective medicines to patients is one of the greatest opportunities for humanity.
Our mission is to develop better drugs, faster. Our team has built a full-stack drug discovery platform centered around one of the largest human multi-omics databases. We use machine learning to map network relationships between complex causes of disease, and then leverage a wide range of systems biology approaches to find new druggable intervention points. Drug candidates are developed to the clinic using our internal biology and chemistry platforms. We are developing new drugs to treat some of the biggest medical challenges today: ALS, Parkinson’s Disease, Frontotemporal Dementia, Crohn’s Disease, and inflammatory skin diseases. Our first drug for ALS is currently in human trials, and it was discovered entirely using our platform.
We raised $134M from top tier investors (e.g. BlackRock, Eli Lilly, Merck, Section 32, Threshold Ventures, Y Combinator, etc) and in 2021 we announced a $706M deal with Eli Lilly. We are a team of data scientists, neuroscientists, and drug developers united around an audacious vision to make drug discovery cheaper and faster.
Who You Are:
The mission for this role is to build bioinformatics software that radically unlocks the time, cost, and usability of drug discovery methods at Verge Genomics. Your primary responsibility will be to engineer application-layer software within our platform that transforms existing prototypes into bulletproof automated pipelines, usable by a wide-range of scientists in our organization. Our discovery platform includes numerous innovative methods that are superior to the competition, and we need your help launching these methods at scale. You will work closely with our backend engineers to ensure seamless integration with our API and database, and you’ll work with our experimental team to ensure your software maximally supports their workflows.
To excel in this role, you must be a strong software engineer with experience in molecular biology concepts (high throughput sequencing), strong written and verbal communication skills, and a track-record of project management and organizational success. If you are a highly motivated individual with a passion for using cutting-edge technologies to solve complex biological problems, we want to hear from you. Join us at Verge Genomics and help us change the world of drug discovery.
- Development: Engineer application-layer software that works with our platform ecosystem. Assure quality of software through continuous integration and testing.
- Innovation: Develop production-ready software that transforms innovative prototypes—new cutting-edge algorithms—into production-ready automated software.
- Maintenance: Monitor the system performance of essential production resources. Respond to early-release bugs, and use our ticketing system to manage a feature list.
- Planning and Project Management: Collaborate with teams across our organization, and solicit user requirements for software engineering projects. Develop and execute project plans; communicate intermediate milestones as the project develops.
- Collaborate with Back-End Engineers: Work closely with our back-end software engineers to ensure seamless integration of data workflows with our API, database, and front-end web portal.
- BS or MS degree in computer science, bioinformatics, or related field.
- At least 5 years professional experience in software engineering, including demonstrated experience designing and implementing complex software systems. Preference will be given to candidates with additional experience.
- Demonstrated success engineering software pipelines in multi-core cloud environments, including Nextflow in AWS. Preference will be given to candidates with AWS certifications.
- Demonstrated experience building front-end tools with Python Django framework
- Demonstrated expertise with software engineering methodologies: design documentation, Agile development, SCRUM methods, code reviews
- Demonstrated experience with commonly-used next-generation sequencing algorithms, such as (but not limited to) STAR, FastQC, PICARD, and others.
- Fluency with molecular biology concepts.
Compensation & Benefits at Verge Genomics:
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role will vary from $150,000 to $170,000 depending upon the skillset and experience of the candidate. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate’s skills, education and experience, the level at which they are actually hired, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and all employees are offered Equity, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, Verge Genomics also provides our employees:
*Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
*401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
*Disability insurance, Life insurance, Dependant Care FSA and Healthcare FSA
*Unlimited paid time off
*Paid parental leave
*Access to free onsite fitness center
*Free snacks and lunch for employees who work onsite
*WFH stipend for employees who work remotely
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model.
See more open positions at Verge Genomics
Something looks off?