Production Manager (Vacaville)
Vacaville, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2023
Who we are:
Founded in 2013, Thistle is a leading tech-enabled food and nutrition company that delivers ready-to-eat meals right to your doorstep. We empower our customers to get and stay healthy while improving the sustainability of our food system. Thistle began as a single pop-up location in San Francisco, going from selling cold-pressed juices to delivering nearly 15 million delicious, healthy, plant-forward meals, organic cold-pressed juices, and snacks.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Production Manager manages a Production Supervisors, Leads, and Associates team. The Production Manager maintains the production function, including plating and packaging meals, snacks, and beverages. The person in this role will work closely with leadership to develop and execute the production function in our new facility and build and scale a high-performing team.
Working closely with the Director of Operations and cross-functional teams, this role will be part of the team for our newer production facility. The person in this role will be responsible for supporting operational growth and scaling and requires incredible flexibility, resourcefulness, and an entrepreneurial spirit to help build our operations. If you have a food background and love leading teams, building, and problem-solving in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment, this role is for you!
This position is 100% onsite in Vacaville, CA.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, oversee, and scale the production team
- Partner with Talent Acquisition to identify hiring needs for the team, recruit, and interview talent
- Identify continuous training and/or coaching opportunities in productivity and KPIs for staff
- Audit and approve timecards promptly for payroll
- Partner regularly with People Ops, Payroll, and Talent Acquisition teams to create a positive work environment, work towards all hiring goals, and ensure timely payroll is completed
- Ensure compliance with Company policies and all federal, state, and local employment laws and OSHA regulations
- Develop and set production objectives and implement action plans for achieving set targets
- Prepare periodic reports to update upper management on food production activities
- Plan, organize, and map plate and pack functions throughput for all shifts; assign team members appropriately to respective lines for maximum efficiency and balance
- Ensure that all required documentation is completed in full, is accurate, and submitted after each shift
- Ensure that all staff follows and understands Allergy SOP to maintain and allow for “0” (zero) allergy misses
- Partner with the Kitchen team to ensure accurate menu production
- Collaborate with internal Warehouse and Logistics teams for inventory, shipping, and delivery functions
- Create and institute SOPs or protocols as needed to ensure accuracy, efficiency, and discipline for the production function and team
- Participate in consistent safety meetings; monitor attendance for policy changes and rollouts
- Ensure OSHA compliance standards are adhered to at all times by staff
- Conduct weekly internal QA Audits in collaboration with QA Team; institute and manage preventative measures to reduce the level of infractions and build internal team discipline
What you’ll bring:
- 4+ years of supervisory or management experience in a production or manufacturing facility required; CPG and/or food production experience highly preferred
- Working knowledge of relevant Employment Law
- Strong decision-making skills and a results-driven approach
- Working knowledge and understanding of GMPs, quality standards, and safety & OSHA regulations
- Proven experience in setting and reporting on key production metrics
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and, at times, stressful environment
- Ability to successfully and consistently meet deadlines while maintaining attention to detail and adhering to our company mission and values
- Tech-savvy approach to everyday tasks and communication; comfortable with G-Suite and Slack a big plus
- Verbal proficiency in Spanish is a plus
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential values at Thistle. We know we do our best and most impactful work when we feel we are represented and belong. We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.