Hardware Engineering Manager
Street Smarts VR
San Antonio, TX, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Street Smarts VR is a veteran-owned, dual-use technology platform that's revolutionizing tactical training through virtual reality and improving public safety outcomes. By integrating software, hardware, and training data, SSVR's solution is transforming the VR training landscape.
Across four continents, 10,000 users across dozens of US military and police departments currently train with SSVR - and that's a tiny fraction of the 5 million first responders in the US who carry weapons and for whom training is not just a requirement but a moral imperative. SSVR is forecasting rapid growth over the coming years in both state and local law enforcement as well as all 4 branches of the US Military.
At Street Smarts VR, we understand that military and first responders consistently operate in high stress, high consequence environments. We’ve lived it. So by leveraging virtual reality and real-world data sources, we’ve built a fully immersive platform that conditions users to the real life stressors they will face in the field.
We’re looking for a Hardware Engineering Manager to lead our growing Hardware team. You’ll be responsible for managing people and projects spanning embedded electronics, mechanical, and manufacturing work. In this role you’ll be expected to manage and oversee the design and development of VR-integrated training accessories used by military and police users. You can expect to work closely with the Software Engineering team, the Art team, Product Management, Sales, and Customer Experience. This role is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys people management, project management, as well as some hands-on electronics design and development work.
This role will require occasional onsite work in our San Antonio office on a once per month frequency to start.
This role reports to the Vice President of Product & Engineering.
What you can expect to work on
- Lead the hardware engineering team to bring new products to market while upholding the company's technical and quality standards
- Perform research and development for new hardware product lines based on the company's proprietary VR position tracking technology
- Serve as a technical and people-leader by growing the team, building tools and processes, and establishing a strong engineering culture
- Work with product managers to identify gaps in our roadmaps and direct new product development to fill those gaps
- Generate high-level system requirements, architectures, and software interfaces
- Conduct project planning and project management in order to bring new hardware products to market on time
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and industry standards
- Coordinate with other teams and departments to ensure timely and efficient product development, most specifically coordination with the software engineering team on interfaces, aligning project timelines, and deliverables
- Collaborate with external manufacturing partners and suppliers to ensure timely delivery of materials and components
- Establish low volume supply chains for embedded electronics, injection molding, 3D printing, and assembly
- Identify the people resources needed to scale the team and work with HR to recruit, interview, hire, and onboard new team members
- Manage and mentor the hardware engineering team to ensure they have the necessary resources and support to perform their duties
What we expect from you
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field
- Minimum 7 years of relevant professional experience (consumer electronics preferred) with at least 3 years of people management experience
- Demonstrated experience leading product development for electronic products
- Demonstrated experience setting up and managing manufacturing processes for consumer electronics
- Prior professional experience overseeing or direct development of embedded electronics design and manufacturing
- Experience with MCAD tools such as Fusion360 or Solidworks (Solidworks preferred)
- Experience with ECAD tools such as Altium, Fusion360, or Eagle
- Experience with Product Data Management (PDM) tools (Upchain preferred)
- Experience with Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP) tools such as Katana
- Comfortability with an even split of people management plus individual contributor work (the majority of which would be electrical engineering based), with IC work being reduced as the team continues to grow
- Knowledge of VR technology and trends is desired but not required
- Ability to travel regionally to San Antonio as needed
What we offer
- A unique opportunity to help improve training for first responders and the communities they serve
- High growth opportunity within a startup culture
- Competitive salary & bonus
- Multiple healthcare plans to choose from
- Company-matched 401k program
- Opportunity to travel
- Hybrid (in our beautiful San Antonio office) or remote-first work environment optional
U.S. Equal Opportunity Employer
Street Smarts VR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.