Senior Accountant / Controller
Street Smarts VR
Accounting & Finance
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Street Smarts VR is a veteran-owned, dual-use technology platform that's revolutionizing tactical training through virtual reality and improving public safety outcomes. By integrating software, hardware, and training data, SSVR's solution is transforming the VR training landscape.
Across four continents, 10,000 users across dozens of US military and police departments currently train with SSVR - and that's a tiny fraction of the 5 million first responders in the US who carry weapons and for whom training is not just a requirement but a moral imperative. SSVR is forecasting rapid growth over the coming years in both state and local law enforcement as well as all 4 branches of the US Military.
At Street Smarts VR, we understand that military and first responders consistently operate in high stress, high consequence environments. We’ve lived it. So by leveraging virtual reality and real-world data sources, we’ve built a fully immersive platform that conditions users to the real life stressors they will face in the field.
We are seeking an experienced Accountant to join our Finance team. In this role, you will be responsible for managing financial statements, supporting compliance with state and local tax laws, and providing financial insights to help inform business decisions. Our ideal candidate is diligent and meticulous with record keeping, but also is motivated towards building and growing a long-term in-house finance function. This role is a great fit for a candidate who is hungry to learn more about strategy, pricing, fundraising, and other financial responsibilities under the leadership of our VP of Finance.
This role is a hybrid position based in our New York City office located in the Financial District, with an expectation of at least 3 in-office work days per week.
What you can expect to work on:
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date financial records (e.g., accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, cash position, etc.)
- Manage month-end and year-end closing processes
- Create and manage financial statements and dashboards
- File necessary tax, regulatory and other financial forms associated with the company’s business activities
- Advise best practices and optimizations to improve the efficiency of the accounting process
- Support forecasting of financial performance and budget preparation
- Manage relationships with external vendors, such as accounting and tax consultants
- Support our transition from QuickBooks to an institutional ERP system (e.g. NetSuite or Sage)
- Other ad-hoc financial duties as required
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- 3+ years of experience at a top-tier accounting firm or company, with a preference for SaaS companies / accounting experience
- Proficiency of QuickBooks required, experience with NetSuite or Sage preferred
- Understanding of local and national tax laws and regulations
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, combined with attention to detail
- Solid written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working at an early-stage company is a plus
What we offer:
- A unique opportunity to help improve training for first responders and the communities they serve
- High growth opportunity within a startup culture
- Competitive salary & bonus
- Multiple healthcare plans to choose from
- Company-matched 401k program
- Opportunity to travel
U.S. Equal Opportunity Employer
Street Smarts VR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
See more open positions at Street Smarts VR
Something looks off?