Bioprocess Engineer I/II
SCiFi Foods is on a mission to create meat the world can depend on. We use synthetic biology to create the next generation of meat alternatives that use cell-based ingredients in combination with plant-based meat, enabling us to create a more meat-like taste than anything fully plant based ever could.
We are looking for a talented Bioprocess Engineer I/II to join our mammalian cell culture process development team in San Leandro, CA. In this role you will be an integral member of the Cell Culture team. You will test our newest beef cell lines and develop robust and cost effective processes for production at large scale. This position will collaborate with scientist/engineer project leads to achieve project milestones and will report to the Lead of the Cell Culture team.
- Design, execute, and analyze cell culture experiments conducted in various formats (bioreactors, flasks, or shaken well plates)
- Contribute to the cell culture process development including strain screening, media development, process optimization, and scale-down/scale-up studies
- Use engineering principles (mass and energy balances, thermodynamics) to ensure cell culture works across scales; systematically scale up the culture process
- Use of statistics and DoE principles in experimental design and analysis; make statistically informed decisions based on data
- Effectively communicate experimental results and implications across all levels of the RD team
- Develop bioreactor process scripts to test and optimize cell growth in controlled environments
- Modify and improve bioreactor hardware for increased functionality along with operating and maintaining bioprocess equipment (bio-analyzers, centrifuges, bioreactors, autoclaves, etc.)
- Author tech transfer documents, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Batch Production Records (BPRs), and other quality/RD documentation as needed
- Bachelor's or advanced in chemical engineering or related field with minimum 4+ years industry experience
- Hands-on experience with mammalian or microbial cell culture processes
- Experience with scale-up/operation of bioreactors/fermenters bench scale and/or above
- Demonstrated ability to apply conservation of mass and energy principles in data analysis and process modeling along with use of PID control principles
- Experience using statistics and DoE to design and analyze experiments
- Excellent aseptic technique and laboratory hygiene practices
- Understanding of mammalian cell physiology, metabolism, and growth kinetics
- Growth mindset with the ability to rapidly adapt
- A team player that works towards the success of the group and company
- Considers safety of paramount importance
Nice to have (but not required):
- Experience with miniature bioreactor systems, such as Sartorius’ Ambr systems or Applikon’s micro-Matrix
- Experience with high-throughput plate-based experiments in support of process development efforts (e.g. assays of media or metabolite components, screening of cells or media ingredients, etc.)
- Demonstrated use of automation (e.g. liquid handling stations) for high-throughput experiments
- Use of software packages such as JMP, R, or Python
We are looking for candidates who are curious about food and science, who are driven to innovate, and who want to work on the future of meat. We work as a collaborative, multidisciplinary, and diverse team that is committed to a big vision for positive impact. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic startup environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. Join us in our quest to redefine what’s possible!
SCiFi Foods offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental and insurance, paid time off, and more. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. This position is for our San Leandro, CA location.
Something looks off?