Quantum Device Theorist
Berkeley, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
As a Quantum Device Theorist, you will be a key contributor to the performance of our quantum processors. You will work in close collaboration with our experimental teams to model the quantum dynamics of our QPUs. You will drive the improvement of quantum operations fidelity on our R&D platform and the stabilization of performance on our QPUs deployed over the cloud. You will collaborate with specialists in quantum algorithms, control systems, superconducting circuit design and fabrication to contribute to our continuous effort toward quantum advantage and quantum error correction.
- Modeling of entangling gates on superconducting quantum processors
- Development of pulse-level simulations of QPU dynamics
- Implementation of optimal control techniques to improve quantum gates performance for various gate implementations
- Develop tools that capture experimental measurement results and predict anomalies
- Detailed modeling of error budget for NISQ algorithms and Quantum Error Correction
- Development of benchmarks for large-scale quantum processors
- Collaboration across diverse teams of expert engineers (fab, design, electronics, software, etc.)
- PhD in Physics or similar applied scientific field
- Experience in quantum benchmarking protocols
- Expertise in simulating open quantum systems
- Academic or industrial experience in gate-based quantum computing or superconducting circuits
- Demonstrated capabilities with Python in a scientific context
- Ability to thrive in a strongly collaborative environment
- Excellent communication skills
Nice to Have
- Expertise in the practical implementation of quantum algorithms on superconducting qubits
- Prior experience on closely working with experimentalists
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and execute novel research projects
- Prior technical role in an industry or start-up environment
As engineering leaders, we value diversity and are committed to building a culture of inclusion to attract and engage innovative thinkers. Our technology, meant to serve all of humanity, cannot succeed if those who built it do not mirror the diversity of the communities we serve. Applications from women, minorities, and other under-represented groups are encouraged.
Rigetti Computing is a pioneer in full-stack quantum computing. The company has operated quantum computers over the cloud since 2017 and serves global enterprise, government, and research clients through its Rigetti Quantum Cloud Services platform. The company’s proprietary quantum-classical infrastructure provides ultra-low latency integration with public and private clouds for high-performance practical quantum computing. Rigetti has developed the industry’s first multi-chip quantum processor for scalable quantum computing systems. The company designs and manufactures its chips in-house at Fab-1, the industry’s first dedicated and integrated quantum device manufacturing facility. Rigetti was founded in 2013 by Chad Rigetti and today employs more than 180 people with offices in the United States, U.K., and Australia. Learn more at www.rigetti.com.
Don't see the job you want? Apply here so we can keep in touch with you when the right role opens up in the future!
Export Licensing Compliance
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations without sponsorship for an export license. In order to ensure compliance, Rigetti must determine U.S. citizenship or U.S. visa/immigration status of all prospective applicants for this position.
Any citizenship information provided will be reviewed solely for export control compliance purposes. Only applicants eligible to receive export-controlled items, software, technology, and information will be considered for this position. Citizenship information will be handled in accordance with Rigetti’s policies prohibiting discrimination based upon classifications protected by federal, state, or local law.
Rigetti is committed to full compliance with applicable anti-discrimination laws. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We strive to create an inclusive work environment and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.