Producer, Recount Wire
Producer, Recount Wire
industryMedia & Publishing
- $80k - $100k / Year
locationHybrid · New York, NY, USA
Who we are looking for
The Recount is looking for a lead producer to help oversee The Recount Wire and its team. The Wire is a well-curated, deeply sourced feed of live, newsy video clips that keeps our audience informed and engaged on our app, website, and all social channels.
You will be responsible for setting the editorial calendar for the day, leading our aggregation and clipping coverage, and reviewing and signing off on videos and captions. This role requires broad coverage of news topics, mainly politics but spanning culture, tech, business and anywhere power is at play. You must have keen editorial judgment and an understanding and passion for The Recount’s voice.
You should be eager to join a fast-paced team working to innovate news coverage. This role requires someone who is ambitious and driven to be first, while remaining accurate, editorially punchy and a team player.
This position will report to the Editor in Chief of The Recount. This is a hybrid position with 2-3 days in office per week — our office is in lower Manhattan.
- Spend every morning pouring over newsletters, calendars, and press itineraries to set the editorial table for the newsroom for the day.
- Identify, source, and clip newsy and interesting soundbites from the worlds of politics, culture, tech, and business — everything from the halls of Congress to state Capitols to local board hearings, from press conferences to live events to interviews, from national to local news reads, and everything in between.
- Post all clips to our Recount Wire, which services the website and app
- Work with the dedicated social team to ensure all content is being posted to our social channels with the right angles of coverage
- Keep a mental rolodex of information of what you’ve seen and clipped so that we can make original videos that connect the dots for our viewers
- Review accuracy and editorial value of video cuts and captions posted by other producers. Provide feedback and changes.
- Assist in managing at least 1 associate producer — this includes weekly 1:1 meetings that cover job performance and career management.
- Be available for big breaking or planned events outside of standard office hours. (This is generally a daytime job, but as we ramp up to 2024, you must be willing to accommodate a flexible shift schedule as this is a Live News job.)
- Identify and surface new channels and sources for live news content.
- At least 3 years experience working in journalism or digital media.
- Proven ability to break, find and post news quickly and accurately.
- Strong editorial judgment and knowledge of key players in politics.
- Must have a wild passion for live news and showing people what is happening.
- Strong knowledge of how stories move on social media.
- Basic computer editing skills to record and cut soundbites. Adobe Premiere editing skills are a plus but not required.
- Enthusiasm and energy to be a part of a team always looking for new ideas.
- Proven track record in growing a digital audience is a plus.
About The Recount
The Recount is a leading media brand focused on the worlds of politics, business, tech, and culture, across a suite of digital, social and experiential platforms. The Recount was created as a place to find short form video content that keeps you updated and educated on the news — without all the extra noise that’s endemic to mainstream media today. We aim to not hold ourselves above the internet culture driving news; we’re native to it, while at the same time holding that culture accountable to the highest standards of journalism. Our content and formats are curated, presented, and delivered specifically as they relate to the stories we’re telling and the audiences we’re trying to reach.
We are part of the The News Movement (TNM) family. TNM brings together leading industry figures and the next generation of passionate journalists to help reset how we tell “the news” in an era of declining trust and increasing misinformation. We’re driven by our purpose: to help millions of people around the world be better informed. We’re accurate and impartial, informative and engaging, surprising and entertaining. We emphasize facts and context. We’re transparent and impartial. And we always meet our audiences where they’re at.
Paid parental leave
Vacation / Paid Time Off
Flextime / Remote Work