Intellectual Property Counsel (3 Months Contract to Hire)
In the time it takes you to read this job description, RapidSOS will have handled ~1,380 emergencies.
At RapidSOS, we are committed to using technology to build a safer, stronger future and working together to save lives. We’re in an exciting phase of growth, welcoming new members from across the globe to our mission-driven, ambitious, and inclusive team. Our work is founded on our values of trust and safety, pioneering, urgency, and purpose over pride, all of which support a company culture where people can innovate, collaborate, grow, and, above all, make an impact. If that sounds like an exciting opportunity, we want to hear from you!
At RapidSOS, we are empowering safer, stronger communities with faster, data-driven emergency response. In partnership with public safety, RapidSOS created the world’s first intelligent safety platform that securely links life-saving data from 500+ million connected devices, apps and sensors and 90+ technology partners directly to RapidSOS Safety Agents, 911, and first responders globally. The platform is used by over 15,000+ first responder agencies and supports 165+ million emergencies each year. When people need help during an unsafe moment or an emergency, their connected device, home or building that is RapidSOS Ready, delivers essential data to the right place, when it matters most.
What this role is about:
RapidSOS is looking for an attorney to serve as an Intellectual Property Counsel. Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel and partnering with our existing in-house IP Counsel, you will be a strategic advisor to our business, technical, and public safety teams on intellectual property matters, including, but not limited to invention harvesting, patent and trademark filing, prosecution, and more. Through your work, you will also have the opportunity to improve our legal processes, ensure operational compliance and best practices, and work collaboratively with a wide range of teams on intellectual property topics.
You’ll excel in this role if you have strong business sense, in-depth critical thinking skills, and the ability to proactively work with senior leaders as well as outside counsel to identify and prioritize issues and develop creative, client-focused solutions to achieve business goals within legal guidelines.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as a trusted partner to the Product, Engineering, Sales, and Public Safety teams in advice on intellectual property, while managing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Facilitate business growth by advising internal teams on invention capture and patent strategy.
- Prepare and prosecute patent, trademark, and copyright filings and enforcement.
- Collaborate with our internal IP Counsel, corporate legal team, and external legal counsels on intellectual property topics.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, open source, intellectual property, and other relevant laws, regulations, and developments to be able to give the most effective advice.
- Take full responsibility, accountability, and ownership for your work; including overseeing and completing administrative legal tasks and docket management.
What we’re looking for in our ideal candidate:
- J.D. required with an active bar license in good standing
- 5-8+ years of relevant intellectual property experience with an ideal mix of in-house work experience within a technology company and at a law firm
- An enthusiasm for technology and intellectual property law
- Excellent and polished verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently as a self-starter with tons of initiative, depending on the nature of the work
- Self-motivated, adaptable, problem-solver who can work in a fast-paced environment
- No ego - our team believes in “purpose over pride” where no task is beneath us
Nice-to-have experience (but not required!):
- Has passed the Patent Bar and is licensed with an Intellectual Property certification
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline
- Has experience with closely collaborating with Engineering and Product teams
What we offer:
- The chance to work with a passionate team on solving one of the largest challenges globally
- A dynamic, flexible and fun start-up work environment with a highly talented team
- 3 month contract (renewable and eligible to be hired as a full-time team member)
If you're curious to learn more about RapidSOS, you can check out rapidsos.com/blog
Starting pay for a successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include experience, relevant skills, training, education, location, business needs, or market demands. The salary range for this role is $115,000 - $135,000.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here: https://rapidsos.com/privacy/california/ #LI-Remote
RapidSOS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Interested in the role but you don’t meet 100% of the requirements? We’d love to hear from you! We encourage you to apply; we’d be excited to see if your unique skill set and experience could be a match.