Phase Four is developing the next generation of in-space propulsion for the rapidly expanding space economy. From large constellations in low earth orbit to new missions and cutting-edge capabilities, our team is the key to mission success. We are focused, innovative and passionate about space. And above all else, we work together to get the job done.
Join us at Phase Four as we design, build and deliver the next generation of in-space propulsion and change the way humanity moves in space.
As the Financial Controller at Phase Four, you will be the cornerstone of our finance and accounting operations. Reporting directly to senior leadership, your role is pivotal in shaping the financial trajectory of the company and will be a critical part of company decision making. As such, you must be able to speak authoritatively and confidently about the company’s financial status and forecast. Our company is growing rapidly in manufacturing, requiring close work with the production, procurement and supply chain teams.
- Lead the finance and accounting function within the company, completing timely and accurate monthly closeout and quarterly and annual reports
- Deliver accurate and actionable financial statements and reports to internal and external stakeholders
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable processes, contacting suppliers, scheduling payments, accounting, and coordinating with supply chain and technical teams on timing and accuracy of invoices
- Guide financial decisions by establishing an enhanced budgeting system; monitor and identify variances from established budgets and suggest corrective actions
- Provide status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis; maintain daily cash flow data
- Routinely engage the company’s external accounting firm to enhance record keeping and generally improve the quality of financial reporting
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Establish and implement cost accounting and earned value management systems, working closely with company program and production managers to support reviews and external reporting requirements
- Establish, implement and train the workforce on financial policies and procedures
- Provide support to People Operations team in completing regular and off-cycle payroll processing
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls
- Monitor and confirm financial conditions by conducting audits and providing information to external auditors
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions
- Assist with and ensure compliance with tax obligations, including coordinating with suppliers on appropriate sales tax rates and generation of a yearly R&D tax credit application
Minimum Qualifications / Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or a closely related field
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in accounting/finance
- Strong understanding of GAAP
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting, budgeting, forecasting, costing, controls, and analysis
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office or similar software
- Experience with accounting software such as QuickBooks
- Experience with ERP/MRP systems
- Experience with Atlassian JIRA and Confluence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality with all business information and activities
Preferred Qualifications / Skills:
- Master’s degree in accounting or finance or a closely related field
- 7+ years’ experience in accounting/finance, with 2+ years of cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated ability to build systems and processes rather than operating within established ones
- Experience in a fast-growing company or startup, particularly within aerospace, defense, or automotive industries
- Experience with Federal Government Contracting including knowledge and application of relevant contracting laws, rules and regulations including FAR, DFAR, CAS & ITAR
- Experience interacting directly with DCMA and/or DCAA
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- $100,000 - $150,000
- Phase Four offers competitive salary and equity, comprehensive health benefits, generous vacation policy, and a collaborative and fun work environment.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.