Senior Propulsion Systems Engineer
About the Company
Phase Four is developing the next generation of in-space propulsion for the rapidly expanding space economy. From large constellations in low earth orbit to new missions and cutting-edge capabilities, our team is the key to mission success. We are focused, innovative and passionate about space. And above all else, we work together to get the job done.
Join us at Phase Four as we design, build and deliver the next generation of in-space propulsion and change the way humanity moves in space.
As Senior Propulsion Systems Engineer you will be at the forefront developing new propulsion capabilities to provide breakthrough mobility and maneuverability to national security and civil science missions. You will be responsible for the technical efforts of one or more development programs, from concept development & requirements definition to delivery to the customer & demonstration on-orbit. You will lead trade studies, concepts evaluation, and system sizing for future propulsion technologies and mission applications, many of which will be the first of their kind.
- Own and manage the technical effort of one or more development programs, from concept development and requirements definition to technology demonstration and delivery to the customer
- Lead trade studies, concepts evaluation, and system sizing for future propulsion technologies and mission applications
- Lead requirements definition for propulsion systems and advanced development programs
- Perform design, analysis, development engineering, and flight operations tasks for propulsion systems
- Interact and manage engineers and technicians from all disciplines, including mechanical, fluids, electrical, ground support equipment, software, test and production flight
- Act as the technical interface with internal (management, operations, product development teams) and external stakeholders (customers, subcontractors)
- Develop test plans and analyze test results in support of test operations
- Implement and maintain rigorous hardware and software verification and validation processes through practical application of automation and process controls
- Align resources to accomplish key objectives, assign clear accountability for important objectives, and set the performance bar at the highest standard of excellence
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or a related field
- Over 7 years of direct design and development experience in the space propulsion industry (liquid and/or electric)
- Analytical/scientific programming experience (Python, Matlab, Excel, etc.)
- Experience managing or tasking a technical team
- Experience working with DoD, IC, and/or NASA
- Demonstrated track record of success in a rapidly growing, changing and highly technical environment
- Active Secret clearance
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or a related field
- Over 5 years of direct design and development experience with mechanical or fluid systems in the space propulsion industry (liquid and/or electricExperience with hardware development/delivery for US government customers (DoD/NASA)
- CAD proficiency (Solidworks preferred)
- Expert in GD&T application and analysis
- Knowledge in the use of FEA analysis tools (ANSYS preferred)
- Knowledge of plasma physics concepts
- Experience with hypersonics
- Experience with scientific simulation software (i.e., particle-in-cell or custom-written code)
- Experience working in a fast-paced, startup-like environment
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- Phase Four offers competitive salary and equity, comprehensive health benefits, generous vacation policy, and a collaborative and fun work environment.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.