Senior Systems Engineer
Join us at Phase Four as we deliver cutting edge electric propulsion to thousands of spacecraft over the next decade. We enable large constellations of satellites in low earth orbit (LEO) and beyond. Our plasma thruster enables new missions for satellites with next-generation propellants, while eliminating the primary failure points of legacy technologies
As a Senior Systems Engineer at Phase Four, you will be a critical part of our engineering team responsible for the design, analysis, development, and testing of propulsion systems for space vehicles. You will work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists to push the boundaries of space propulsion technology. Additionally, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of systems engineering including performing preliminary concept development, trade studies, CONOPS definition, requirements decomposition and allocation, interface requirements definition, requirements verification and validation, support to integration and test operations, and anomaly resolution.
- Lead and contribute to the design and optimization of propulsion systems, including thrusters and associated components.
- Responsible for the design and interfacing between subassemblies including thrusters, electronics and fluid systems, and harness design (and routing) using best draft practices per ASME Y14.5 GD&T standards along with clear and well-documented analysis reports.
- Conduct performance simulations, trajectory analysis, and propulsion system sizing to ensure mission objectives are met. Additionally, perform analysis at all levels of total system product, including: concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, and maintenance. Analysis to include Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA).
- Plan and oversee propulsion system testing, including component testing, system integration testing, qualification testing, and acceptance testing.
- Investigate and troubleshoot propulsion system anomalies, propose corrective actions, and enhance system reliability.
- Work with materials and manufacturing engineers to ensure the production and assembly of propulsion systems meet quality and safety standards.
- Capture and organize risks and generate and assess mitigation plans and strategies. You’ll coordinate with management and peers to ensure the integrity of high-quality operational products, including procedures, tools, and system configuration.
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that include technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- Ensure propulsion systems meet industry standards, safety regulations, and environmental requirements.
- Generate and maintain comprehensive technical documentation, including system specifications, test plans, and reports.
- Stay current with the latest advancements in space propulsion technology and contribute innovative ideas to improve propulsion system designs.
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Fluid Dynamics, Physics, Chemistry, Math, or similar
- 5+ years of experience in relevant engineering position
- Experience with CAD programs (Solidworks and PDM preferred)
- Knowledge of engineering standards (ISO/ASTM/SAE) and best practices
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with NASA Systems Engineering Handbook
- Experience with integration of myriad engineering systems ranging from plasma thruster to electrical and fluidic systems
- Experience with electric or liquid propulsion systems within Aerospace & Defense or equivalent type fluid systems and components
- Understanding of in space electrical and fluid systems
- Knowledge of fabrication, integration processes and quality control relative to harnessing and tubing
- Working knowledge of materials and treatments
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Ability to work independently to identify and address issues with strong attention to detail
- Experience working with DoD, IC, and/or NASA
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Experience with Plasmas or Space Weather
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- $100,000 - $150,000 USD
- Phase Four offers competitive salary and equity, comprehensive health benefits, generous vacation policy, and a collaborative and fun work environment.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.