Manager of Engineering
Dubuque, IA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2023
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud software for local governments and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,600+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes 2022 America's Best Startup Employer!
Looking to change the world? Solve problems that matter? Fight the national infrastructure crisis head-on? Well then, keep on reading.
OpenGov was founded as a platform company and has the ability to realign the GovTech industry due to its continued investments in its ERP platform and associated application suites - Budget & Planning, Citizen Services, Financials, Procurement, and Asset Management.
OpenGov is seeking a talented, motivated Manager of Engineering to lead a highly-skilled team that builds web applications for managing local government's assets and infrastructure. You’ll lead a wicked smart team to build cutting-edge products that are changing the way our cities and counties run.
This role works with the product, design, and architecture teams to design and deliver new features in an agile environment. Favoring shipping to production frequently, this role will drive and motivate the team by encouraging innovation and creativity while ensuring that the high-quality standards to which we hold ourselves are met.
Really like where you live? We’ve built a remote culture (years before the pandemic) that allows you to work from anywhere. We have special meet-ups every year to team build, kick back, and have fun.
• Manage the design and development of highly performant SaaS solutions
• Partner closely with product stakeholders to influence team priorities and roadmap
• Establish, contribute to, and evolve best engineering practices for your team
• Enable your team to break down sophisticated projects into smaller pieces and iterate on their design and implementation
• Coach engineers on your team and provide growth opportunities for individuals by tailoring work to skill level and interests
• Set and maintain Service Level Agreements and Reliability metrics for the systems the team owns
Requirements and Preferred Experience:
• 3+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience required
• 5+ years of hands-on software development experience required
• A proven track record of leading, motivating, and building strong software teams required
• Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with multi-functional teams about various topics such as product requirements, user experience, system architecture, APIs, and project schedules
• Proven ability to coach your team in managing ambiguity, holding themselves accountable, and enabling them to ship complex and multi-quarter projects successfully required
• Strong architecture and system design sense, experience with APIs product development required
• Experience managing large-scale distributed systems, working with microservices, and distributed architecture required
• Hands-on development experience with a modern OO language, design patterns, and frameworks required
• Experience with a modern cloud computing platform is required. AWS preferred.
• Familiarity with working in rapid growth environments required
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,600+ governments (and counting) using our products and seven acquisitions in the past six years! Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
See more open positions at OpenGov
Something looks off?