Director of Customer Support
Obligo supports and builds trust between landlords and renters by developing financial technology to support the lifecycle of the landlord-tenant relationship. Property owners and managers use Obligo to streamline their operations, more easily comply with changing regulations, and make their listings more appealing to renters. We are a dynamic, growing financial technology team that is passionate about revolutionizing the way renters interact with their landlords.
About the Role:
Obligo is seeking an experienced, passionate, results-driven Director of Customer Support to lead and shape our customer support and experience efforts. The mission of the Customer Operations team is to provide an exceptional customer experience throughout the entire customer lifecycle, and to harness the learnings of customer interaction to improve and enhance our core technology product. Importantly, this team is also involved in working with our customers to ensure repayment of charges to their account at the end of their lease life-cycle. This is an excellent opportunity for a seasoned professional with a strong background and deep interest in the intersection of personal customer experience and technology, especially AI-driven workflows. This role also involves close partnership with our Product, Marketing, and Customer Success teams to develop a shared vision for continuous improvement.
You will lead the daily operations of a team of 6-10 full-time employees in the New York office, as well as a full-time off-site team of 5-8, and will report to the Head of Customer Operations.
Please note: This is a full time position and qualified candidates must be based in the New York City area, as this is a hybrid position (working both from home and in our NYC office). Expected time in the office is 2 - 3 days a week.
Leadership and Team Management:
- Be a driving force for the team in setting and achieving goals, delighting customers, consistently achieving response and resolution times, and providing critical feedback to the product team on how to improve the user experience.
- Serve as a key, reliable source of information in reporting to leadership on customer support KPIs, team performance, strategic goals, and the customer perspective.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement, teamwork, excellence, and job satisfaction within the customer support team.
- Lead and mentor our individual customer support professionals, setting clear performance expectations and goals for growth.
- Develop and execute training programs to enhance the skills and knowledge of team members, with a focus on utilizing AI to minimize repetitive work.
Customer Support Functions:
- Oversee and optimize customer support operations across multiple support channels (including, email, phone, and live chat) to ensure prompt, empathetic, effective resolution of customer inquiries and issues.
- Implement strategies to improve response times, resolution rates, and customer satisfaction scores.
- Monitor customer feedback and take proactive measures to address recurring issues, including friction in the product journey, and enhance the overall customer experience.
- Leverage the best of AI technology and other industry best practices to develop and implement protocols, scripts, and responses to reduce ticket volume while maintaining consistent and high-quality interactions with customers.
- Oversee the customer outreach of our Billing Specialists to optimize repayment, including by analyzing the impact of different approaches on performance metrics and making data-driven improvements.
KPIs for Success:
- Ticket Volume. Partner with Product & Data to devise user experience improvements to reduce inbound support tickets (as % of total user volume).
- Human Support Volume. Build AI-led automations and workflows that minimize the amount of human intervention in inbound cases.
- CSAT. Train and provide support to ensure the team delivers a best-in-class service experience using category-defining best practices that exemplify our mission and values.
- Resource Optimization. Develop processes and harness tools to enable a small team to deliver exemplary support to a growing customer base.
- Recovery. Work with Billing Specialists on the customer support team and help design experiments to drive continuous improvement in total recovery from rental customers with charges.
About Your Skills & Experience:
- 8+ years in customer support and/or experience roles, with a minimum of 2 years directly managing a support team
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience in a fast-paced, technology-driven environment
- Proven track record of success working collaboratively and cross-functionally as a customer advocate
- Experience with billing and/or collection responsibilities a plus
- Strong leadership and team-building skills
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Technology-first, data-driven mindset with the ability to analyze performance metrics and implement improvements
- Basic ability to create and adjust dashboards and visualizations on tools such as Intercom, Hubspot, Tableau, and Aircall, etc.
- Basic ability to configure support tools such as Intercom or Zendesk to implement processes and metrics such as triage, AI chatbots, escalation paths, SLAs, etc.
- Superior organizational and time management skills
You are a strong operational leader with a high aptitude for both analytics and EQ. You possess (and love to use) superior communication skills, agile problem-solving abilities, and the ability to establish trust with customers, partners and colleagues. You love working cross-functionally, taking ownership, and being presented with a challenge. You have an impact-driven mindset, and use an empathetic approach to empower and inspire a strong, engaged team. You are passionate about the customer experience, working at a growing, mission-based company, and supporting continuing innovation!
Benefits and Perks:
- Join a mission-driven and value-driven company that puts culture, personal growth and well-being front and center
- A chance to work with incredible teammates who are bright, creative, talented, and passionate!
- Growth & Training Opportunities
- Hybrid work model, including 2-3 days per week of working from home
- Fun office environment on Union Square, including communal food, music and games
- Frequent company and team events including physical workouts, restaurants and more
- Up to 3 months fully remote work per year - for your inner digital nomad
- Generous PTO and Holiday Schedule
- Stock Options to all full time employees
- Home Office Expense Reimbursement
- Health, Dental and Vision plan options with generous company contributions
- 401-K with match
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible Savings Account (FSA) Options
- Commuter Benefits (pre-tax dollars for transit and parking)
At Obligo, we provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Salary Range: $165,000 to 180,000 annual base salary + equity