R&D Staff Firmware Engineer
R&D Staff Firmware Engineer
Location: Neuspera Medical, Inc. headquarters in San Jose, CA
Reporting To: Senior Director R&D Product Development, Neuspera Medical, Inc.
Base Pay - Negotiable
Employment Type - Full-Time
Job Type - Engineer
Education - 4 Year Degree
Experience - 7+ years
Manages Others - Yes
Industry - Medical Devices
Required Travel - As necessary
ABOUT NEUSPERA MEDICAL, INC.
Neuspera Medical, Inc. is an exciting early-stage medical device company with a uniquely positioned neuromodulation technology platform, headquartered in San Jose, CA, that is committed to bringing forward implantable medical device technology that will improve lives of patients battling with chronic illness. The first application of the company’s technology will be for the treatment of Overactive Bladder.
Neuspera Medical is seeking a staff firmware engineer with extensive embedded system experience. The ideal candidate will have experience in developing firmware interacting with electronic hardware, mobile apps, and testing software in a regulated industry. The qualified candidate shall be capable of evaluating, selecting, and applying engineering design best practices, techniques, and procedures to produce reliable firmware. The candidate shall be capable of generating well written design documents and manufacturing instructions. The candidate shall be capable of managing internal and external (3rd party) resources as needed by the projects.
The candidate must have the ability to lead requirements compliance, including verification, validation, and method traceability. Familiarity with Configuration Management and Quality Control Processes is a must. The ability to plan for and document verification test protocols and results is required. Experience in debugging and troubleshooting electrical systems is required.
- Bring new designs and design changes through design control process to design transfer and support through clinical trials into commercialization
- Develop all specifications including user needs, product requirements, architectural design, detailed design, and final design output documents
- Design, debug, release, and maintain firmware for commercial deployment
- Plan and communicate development activities and progress, escalate risks, and be accountable for committed schedules
- Lead and leverage internal and external engineering resources
- Work with hardware engineering and others functions to achieve an integrated hardware / firmware design to meet functional and performance requirements
- Work with Operations to determine and implement appropriate test strategies incorporating product software, product hardware, and test automation hardware / software
- Provide support to end customers and field clinical team as necessary to ensure a good customer and patient experience
- Work with Quality team to conduct product failure analysis
- Identify opportunities for design updates to improve the user experience, performance, reliability, etc.
- Identify and help implement tools and processes to improve efficiency and productivity
- Contribute to test infrastructure development such as scripts, automation, and data analysis
- Disclose new ideas and support formal development of intellectual property
- People management: Mentor and guide junior engineers
- Contribute to a goal oriented, collaborative & productive work environment
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- B.S. Electrical Engineering or Computer Science/Engineering (MS or PhD is a plus)
- Demonstrated experience in medical device engineering and electronic software, hardware, and system design in industry or in project-based education. Experience with active implantable device firmware development in neuromodulation, CRM, etc. is highly desirable
- Expert in C/C++, python, and embedded system development. Experienced in digital, analog, RF circuitry control and communications. Familiarity with ST and Nordic MCU is a plus.
- Experience in test driven development; know what and how to test firmware for reliability
- Strong analytic and diagnostic skills
- Results driven, collaborative team player capable of leading and working well with others
- Ability to listen to customers and translate into accurate, actionable specifications
- Experience with iOS and Android mobile development desired
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Foster work culture of:
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Honesty and Integrity
- Accountability and teamwork
- Proactive communication focused on results that is based on facts and is respectful
Based on market data and other factors, the salary range for this position is $150,000 - $175,000. However, a salary higher or lower than this range may be appropriate for a candidate whose qualifications differ meaningfully from those listed in the job description.
· Office and laboratory
· Travel as necessary