Food Scientist I - Applications and Innovation
Augusta, GA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Food Scientist I - Applications and InnovationÂ | Augusta, Georgia, United States, Full-Time
Manus Bio is a next-generation industrial biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts thatÂ produces plant-based ingredients. We use a variety of patented and proprietary technologies to engineer microbes for theÂ production of specialty materials, such as food ingredients, agricultural chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. We are seeking a
highly motivated Food Scientist to assist in developing innovative prototype and commercial food and beverageÂ products with focus on sweetener and flavor ingredients. This hands-on position requires a desire and ability to work as anÂ integral part of a multidisciplinary team, as well as the demonstration of a high degree of flexibility, creativity, andÂ initiative applied to the various duties and aspects of the position. The candidate will conduct lab-scale and pilot-scaleÂ trials to develop food applications utilizing relevant technologies. Once developed prototypes are presented inÂ co-ordination with the commercial team to client’s product development and marketing teams.
Why work at Manus Bio:
- Opportunity – For motivated, results-oriented team members, our growth creates opportunities for personal and professional advancement.
- Accountability – You are given the resources you need to succeed and the freedom to make it happen; in return, we hold each other accountable for our high expectations.
- Passion – We love what we do and enjoy working with others who feel the same way. We embrace the challenge and hard work that come with working on the cutting edge.
- Work with new sweetening and flavor ingredients to assist clients with formulations incorporating Manus Bio’sÂ products. The focus will be on Sweetener innovations, blends, physical product forms and final consumer brands.
- Conducts various application testing on finished prototypes to understand functionality and performance in given food systems.
- Developing new product prototypes to highlight the value proposition of the ingredient. Product prototypes may beÂ many different types of food and beverages, including stillÂ beverages, carbonated beverages, dairy, hydrationÂ beverages, bakery, confectionary, among others.
- Supporting sales team initiatives with formulation knowledge and solving customer challenges
- Ability to quickly optimize formulations, bring innovative solutions, and interact at an international level with manyÂ different large and small customers.
- Interacts with the commercial team and colleagues across the organization, beyond R&D.
- Work is performed in an office and application laboratory environment. Exposure to food laboratory chemicalsÂ such as acids and bases, inorganic salts, solvents, dusts, powders, flavors and intense sweeteners will be a normalÂ part of the job. Production environments are on-site and occasional production trial support onÂ productÂ innovation is required. All employees are required to follow safety standards and wear all personal protectiveÂ equipment in designated areas.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, use hands andÂ fingers, grip, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk and hear.
- Ability to lift and carry 10 lbs. on a regular basis is required.
- Demonstrated experience with hands-on food concept development formulation laboratory and/or pilotÂ plant equipment.
- Ability to use basic formulation and laboratory skills (e.g. analytical balance) to create food and beverageÂ products such as carbonated soft drinks, ice cream,Â confectionary, and bakery items.
- Strong understanding of food science and how ingredients interact and ability to apply this knowledge to solvingÂ challenges in food and beverage formulation with newÂ ingredients.
- Ability to quickly respond to new and challenging formulation projects.
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written is required.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are required.
- Computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows based programs are required.
- Requires effective time management skills, personal conduct, and change management abilities.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, vendors, contractors and other business contacts.
- Must comply with Manus Bio’s core values for the safe and efficient operation of the business and maintainÂ sound relationships among and with employees.
- Currently possess unrestricted authorization to work in the United States. Manus Bio Inc. does not intend toÂ sponsor work visas with respect to this position or to provide this position as OPT or CPT.
- Experience working in food formulation laboratory.
- BS or higher degree in a food science discipline
- Innovative mindset and a positive outlook towards finding solutions.
- Interest and/or general knowledge of the food and beverage marketplace and ingredient marketplace
- Understanding of basic sensory test methodology and application to product development