Virtual Payload Software Engineer
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2023
Wanna join the adventure?
In an increasingly software-defined world, Loft is extending this concept to our spacecraft, and is building the infrastructure to allow third parties to design, test, and deploy “virtual payloads” onto our spacecraft, where they can take advantage of a variety of onboard sensors and powerful compute to perform new missions.
As a developer working on virtual payload frameworks for satellite systems, your scope will involve assisting in developing, documenting, and maintaining these frameworks. You will contribute to various tasks related to designing, simulating, and testing the virtual payload frameworks.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About This Role:
- Take part in developing virtual payload frameworks for satellite systems, including design, simulation, testing, and deployment.
- Contribute to the documentation of virtual payload framework solutions, including designs, user manuals, and technical specifications.
- Develop and maintain software tools and processes to support virtual payload framework development, testing, and deployment.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends and emerging technologies related to virtual payloads and satellite systems.
- Conduct code, design, and other document reviews and implement other best practices for software development.
- Follow applicable Loft standards and processes.
- Languages: C#/C++, Bash
- Development Process: Git (gitlab, github)
- Software Development Technologies: Networking (UDP, TCP, IP), POSIX
- Linux: Experience in developing applications for Linux operating systems and containerization tools
Nice to Haves:
- Languages: Python, Rust, GO
- Communication with FPGA IP
- Framework libraries: Cuda, OpenCV, TensorFlow
- Embedded Linux Operations: Systemd, Selinux, Kubernetes
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- Equity, we want you to have an active role in our success
- Up to 35 days of Paid Time Off (vacations & RTT ) and flexible working hours, we want you to be at your best
- Health and life insurance, we care about your health
- Lunch Vouchers, because let’s be honest, we love food! (we even have a slack channel about it #loft-gourmand)
- Cross-office travel opportunities between San Francisco, Colorado, and Toulouse to learn from our differences
- Company and team off-sites and many other events to work & celebrate together
- Relocation assistance to Toulouse when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.