Senior Backend Engineer - Security Clearance Eligible
Golden, CO, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2023
Wanna join the adventure?
Loft Orbital is looking for a cleared Backend Engineer to join our Loft Federal team. This developer will help configure and customize Cockpit (Loft's satellite operations software) for our DoD customers, in addition to developing micro-services that enable the command and control of our space infrastructure. The position will be collaborative, regularly interfacing with our ground software, flight software and other teams.
This is an exciting opportunity as it is working on cutting edge technology, helping build modern automated space infrastructure, where software is the center piece. As well as developing our future systems, the role will also be working on real-time issues on live missions, helping to solve problems as they occur. On top of this we also offer SatDevOps training to enable this person to actually operate our spacecraft!
Some technical information about the position:
The stack we are using: Python, Django, GraphQL, Kubernetes, Cue, C++
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About This Role:
- Configuring and customizing Cockpit (Loft's satellite operations software) to enable DoD missions
- Design the tools for operations, autopilot, activities
- Sending commands and telemetry
- Writing code - developing our services
- Interfacing with FSW/ESW/AIT teams
- Provide support with using ground software (Cockpit) internally
- Spacecraft Ops - everybody is involved
- Web development backend frameworks experience
- API design
- US Citizenship required
- Required: active DoD Secret clearance with ability to obtain Top Secret clearance. Active Top Secret clearance with experience in (last 2 years) or active Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) strongly desired.
- Preferred: Current in-scope DoD SECRET background investigation with at least 3 years of eligibility remaining, or Continuous Evaluation (CE) status, with willingness and ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance
- Preferred: DoD or Intelligence Community Top Secret background investigation with at least 3 years of eligibility remaining or CE status; and SCI eligibility with current experience in SCI programs, other control systems, and/or Special Access Programs
Nice to Haves:
- Database interactions
- Influx/Timescale DB
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance option for employees and dependents
- Flexible Time Off policy for vacation and sick
- 401(k) plan and equity options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Fully paid parental leave; 14 weeks for birthing parents and 10 weeks for non-birthing parents
- Carrot Fertility provides comprehensive, inclusive fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits with financial support
- Off-sites and many social events and celebrations
- Relocation assistance when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.
See more open positions at Loft Orbital
Something looks off?