Accounting Manager / Controller
Accounting & Finance
Broomfield, CO, USA
Posted on Friday, December 8, 2023
Lightship is the first American all-electric recreational vehicle manufacturer currently developing an aerodynamic, battery-powered trailer for the electric age. As the macro transition to an all-electric transportation ecosystem accelerates, Lightship is bringing the increased convenience and superior performance that electrification offers to a pastime enjoyed by over 11 million American families.
Honoring Diverse Perspectives
Lightship is committed to hiring and developing top talent from diverse backgrounds. We believe representing and supporting diverse groups is key to the success of our team members, customers, shareholders and the achievement of our mission and vision. We operate in a collaborative environment with a flat organizational structure and expect a high degree of integrity, autonomy and creativity from all members of the team.
About the Role
Lightship is looking for an experienced and versatile team player to lead accounting activities. This role will report to the the Head of Finance and will be instrumental in building the financial infrastructure needed for company success. It will involve a balance of strategic and tactical work, and the ideal candidate will be adept at defining and executing on priorities independently.
This role will start in Boulder, CO but move to Broomfield, CO in February 2024.
- Lead the day-to-day accounting operations of the organization, with priorities including general ledger/revenue/COGS management, accounts payable/accounts receivable, payroll and closing processes
- Manage outsourced accounting firm in preparation of financial statements in compliance with GAAP and other regulations – then support any external audits as required by investor agreements
- Collaborate with finance manager to drive month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close processes, including reconciliations, journal entries, variance review, and adjustments – and then provide guidance to improve financial plan looking forward
- Proactively identify financial priorities over near and long term horizons and work with rest of finance team to develop solutions
- Partner with leadership team to ensure proper financial controls and procedures are solidified and practiced, providing insights that help to drive departmental efficiencies
- Lead tax compliance activities, including the preparation and filing of tax returns for several states and regions
- Prepare organization for transition to ERP system to enable ramp of manufacturing production – and then partner with key organizational stakeholders to drive system implementation
- Support ad hoc business priorities as needed
Prior Experience and Qualifications
- A passion for climate solutions, hard tech, and/or outdoor industries
- 5+ years of experience in accounting, working frequently with 3-statement models, preferentially with some experience with early stage hardware companies
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field. CPA certification is a plus.
- Deep fluency in accounting best practices and GAAP requirements, strong knowledge of accounting theory
- Advanced capabilities with Microsoft Excel; previous experience with ERP systems and ERP implementation a plus
- Demonstrated track record of success in ambiguous and rapidly changing environments
- Ability to provide savvy financial management in capital constrained environment of a hardware startup
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail, paired with ability to translate accounting concepts into language understood by stakeholders throughout the business
- A deep desire to build a high-impact climatetech company and a world-class finance function
Lightship compensation consists of the yearly salary above plus equity, which gives you a stake in the company.
Employee Benefits & Philosophy - Applies to Full Time
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (full time only)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off that we actually want you to use! 3-4 weeks is common at Lightship.
-12 weeks paid parental leave
- $2,000 per year towards an RV trip of your own, we call this a LightTrip (full time only)
Lightship offers all of its employees and their dependents full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance and covers 100% of the insurance premium. We are on a mission to create a more healthful all-electric experience for a pastime that millions of families enjoy and believe strongly that our team should not have to worry about quality healthcare for themselves or their loved ones along the way.
Most roles at Lightship require onsite work from our offices Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, though some roles may require all days in office. Speak to the hiring manager to learn more.