Senior Software Test Engineer
Software Engineering, Quality Assurance
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
Lightship is the first American all-electric recreational vehicle manufacturer currently developing an aerodynamic, battery-powered trailer for the electric age. As the macro transition to an all-electric transportation ecosystem accelerates, Lightship is bringing the increased convenience and superior performance that electrification offers to a pastime enjoyed by over 11 million American families.
Honoring Diverse Perspectives
Lightship is committed to hiring and developing top talent from diverse backgrounds. We believe representing and supporting diverse groups is key to the success of our team members, customers, shareholders and the achievement of our mission and vision. We operate in a collaborative environment with a flat organizational structure and expect a high degree of integrity, autonomy and creativity from all members of the team.
About the Role
Lightship’s mission to modernize and electrify RVs demands that we build a complex power system with robust software and flexible control. As a Sr. Software Test Engineer, you are comfortable designing test infrastructure and testing embedded software and the associated hardware. You are scrappy and willing to be hands-on in a program’s early stages as well as mentor the growing team. You will work closely with the product and engineering teams and help hasten our path to market with an exceptional vehicle that redefines RVing.
- Define and develop embedded systems software test architecture including hardware in the loop (HIL)
- Design automated regression and fault injection test setup using HIL
- Develop and execute an efficient software test suite to ensure safety and reliability of our products
- Document test specifications and test coverage, and create reports that summarize status for communication outward
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams to develop testing coverage requirements
- Help define software interface requirements
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to growing team of test engineers
- Root cause and recreate failure modes
Prior Experience & Qualifications
- BS or above in computer science, electrical/computer engineering, or related field, or equivalent
- Minimum 7 years experience testing software/firmware
- Proven experience in embedded systems test infrastructure
- Experience with test automation and continuous integration
- In-depth knowledge of CAN bus
- Basic proficiency coding in C/C++
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Python
- Basic understanding of bootloaders
- Experience with requirements management for embedded systems
- Basic understanding of microprocessors and associated peripherals
- Ability to read schematics and component data sheets
- Basic electronic equipment experience (e.g. soldering, oscilloscope)
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, with excellent attention to detail
- Working knowledge of development
- Agile lifecycle methodologies a plus
- Understanding of hardware development processes a plus
- Self-starter with the ability to manage day to day tasks
- You enjoy testing software and create value by solving problems
- You bring an entrepreneurial mindset to your work and are comfortable with uncertainty
Employee Benefits & Philosophy - Applies to Full Time
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (full time only)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off that we actually want you to use! 3-4 weeks is common at Lightship.
-12 weeks paid parental leave
- $2,000 per year towards an RV trip of your own, we call this a LightTrip (full time only)
Lightship offers all of its employees and their dependents full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance and covers 100% of the insurance premium. We are on a mission to create a more healthful all-electric experience for a pastime that millions of families enjoy and believe strongly that our team should not have to worry about quality healthcare for themselves or their loved ones along the way.
Most roles at Lightship require onsite work from our offices Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, though some roles may require all days in office. Speak to the hiring manager to learn more.