The mission of the Data & Analytics group is to build high-quality ground software systems that deliver data and analytics to our customers and to establish software development best practices for the company.
HE360 is currently seeking a Software Engineer who can help the Data & Analytics team design, build, and deploy their world-class algorithms for scalable cloud processing.
The role would be part of the Data Engineering team, under the Data & Analytics group. Data Engineering manages the transition to production for advance machine learning and geolocation algorithms developed by both the Processing Algorithms and Data Science teams. This team also develops and manages scalable data processing platforms for exploratory data analysis and real-time analytics to support our analysts in their geospatial data exploration needs. As a Software Engineer, you will be working closely with HawkEye 360’s scientists to optimize algorithms for low-latency, highly scalable production environments that directly support our customers.
We work in small teams to rapidly prototype and productize new ideas based on hands-on, in-the-weeds engineering. You'll be responsible for designing and implementing distributed backend software systems. We support a broad range of software applications to accomplish our mission, especially favoring Python and C++ languages for batch processing within cloud deployments (Kubernetes + Docker).
Location: This position is hybrid with work from home flexibility.As the Software Engineer, your main responsibilities will be:
- Design, build and maintain efficient and reusable Python code
- Work closely with Processing Algorithms & Data Science teams to integrate, optimize, and deploy state-of-the-art algorithms to production-ready applications
- Contribute to the design and implementation and maintenance of processing and data science algorithms, optimizing for scalable, low-latency deployment to a batch-processing cloud environment
- Apply analytical, debugging, problem solving skills to support and debug data-heavy applications in production to achieve long term product goals in terms of performance and reliability
- Participate in collaborative software development practices, particularly performing merge request reviews, providing design feedback, etc.
- Work in a fast-paced agile environment, effectively communicate and track development activities using agile tools like JIRA/Confluence.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment with geographically distributed team members.
Essential education and experience:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer Engineering, or comparable experience
- 2+ years of professional software development experience using Python
- AWS Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) design and development experience
- Experience working within an AWS environment, including knowledge of AWS services and solutions (Amazon S3, Amazon EC2, AWS Lambda)
- Familiar with modern data orchestration tools (e.g., Apache Airflow, AWS Step Functions)
- Experience developing and supporting DevOps best-practices (e.g., GitLab-based CI/CD)
- Demonstrated experience developing software in a Linux environment
- Familiar with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools (e.g. terraform)
- Experience deploying code using serverless cloud technologies such as AWS Lambda
- Experience deploying software and infrastructure into a Docker and/or Kubernetes environment using an industry-standard cloud provider (AWS, etc.)
- Experience with standard Python tools & framework (e.g. NumPy, pandas, SciPy, scikit)
HawkEye 360 offers a compensation package that includes a competitive base salary plus annual performance bonus and benefits. We consider many factors when determining salary offers, such as candidate's work experience, education, training & skills, as well as market and business considerations. We are also open to considering candidates with experience and qualifications at a different level than required in a job posting, which may affect the compensation package offered.
HawkEye 360 is delivering a revolutionary source of global knowledge based on radio frequency (RF) geospatial analytics to those working to make the world a safer place. The company operates a commercial satellite constellation that detects, geolocates, and identifies a broad range of signals & behaviors. We employ cutting edge AI techniques to equip our global customers with high-impact insights needed to make decisions with confidence. HawkEye 360 is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia.
HawkEye 360 is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
To all recruitment agencies: HawkEye 360 does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, HawkEye 360 employees or any other organization location. HawkEye 360 is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.