Software Development Manager
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2023
Market forces are dramatically reshaping supply chains, forcing drastic changes in trading behaviors between manufacturers, distributors and retailers. Many key business decisions are being made without a single source of truth to back them up, resulting in struggles to keep up with consumer expectations and increased disputes between partners.
At Enable, we believe in removing barriers between trading partners to create a healthier supply chain — and there’s no better way to do this than with rebates. Rebates drive partner behaviors, while increasing loyalty and trust. They help businesses and their trading partners better understand their data, boost their financial performance, mitigate risks, and drive efficiency and trust. When trading partners can make the best decisions for their businesses, everyone wins: manufacturers, distributors, retailers and, most importantly, end consumers.
That’s the core of what we’re doing at Enable: creating a healthy, vibrant supply chain ecosystem where partner collaboration drives the best products, services and values to customers.
As an Engineering Manager, you'll manage a team of 6 to 8 engineers reporting directly to you.
You take responsibility for leading projects and project teams. You'll lead and mentor members of your team, to ensure high quality deliverables.
You must have expert knowledge of software solution creation, an awareness of automation topics, and have strong communication, time management, and prioritization skills.
You'll be responsible for ensuring that key projects and engineering duties are fulfilled. This includes answering technical questions, overseeing estimates for project work, and training for new engineers.
You can expect to have direct and ongoing input into the technical roadmap of our product. Identify and plan the adoption of new technologies as well as regularly reviewing current practices.
You will report to the Director of Engineering for your engineering group and work closely alongside other Engineering Managers to identify short and long!term team objectives, with a focus on quality and iterative improvement.
- Effectively manage a sub team of engineers.
- Hold weekly 1:1s with your sub team to provide them the support they need to progress and succeed at Enable.
- Understanding the strengths and weaknesses as well as the likes and dislikes of individual team members and organising work accordingly. This also includes having the ability to lift motivation levels of team members.
- Schedule, prepare for, and attend annual appraisals for members of your sub team.
- Drive skills development of sub team members.
Team Growth & Retention
- Contribute to recruitment activities, such as interviews and employee onboarding.
- Assist with internal promotion activities as new roles become available.
- Play a role in the growth of the Engineering team as we adapt to being a larger team.
- Be a positive representative for Enable, ensuring your team is happy and we have good staff retention.
- Daily management and HR activities, including the completion of many recurring management tasks.
- Lead engineering projects and project teams
- Deliver projects that improve the quality of Enable’s product and minimize defects
- Confidently deliver challenging project requirements within budget
- When tasks are large" break them down into smaller" more actionable parts
- Effectively manage shifting priorities when necessary
- Structure code in a manner that anticipates the type of scale and maintenance required for the scope of the work. Consider legibility both in authoring and reviewing pull requests
- Work on engineering initiatives that drive a larger feature set, whilst being careful to not create technical debt in the process
- Champion and demonstrate the reduction of technical debt
- Attend recurring engineering meetings.
- Continued focus on staying on top of our backlogs, ensuring our most important tasks are prioritised first.
- Have direct and ongoing input into Engineering team OKRs.
- Take ownership of Engineering team OKRs, ensuring we stay on track to achieve them.
- Management and completion of business improvement initiatives.
- Effectively delegate work and responsibilities, utilising the skills of people in your team.
- Support the operational responsibilities held by members of your team.
- Provide regular assistance and guidance for other members of the engineering team as well as individuals elsewhere in the business.
- Be proactive in anticipating problems that could arise in the future and look to pre-emptively provide solutions before they become an issue.
- Actively participates in meetings and creates cross-team collaboration where necessary to address business goals.
- Coordinate efforts across the team rather than working in a silo. Makes sure that people feel included in varying projects, and that their voices are heard.
- Creates and maintains internal documentation for the purpose and structure of the systems they're working on. Carefully documents processes that aren’t clear.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to engage and motivate others.
- Be a positive force in the wider Enable team.
- Thrive in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to be decisive and make difficult decisions.
- Strong technical design capability.
- Strong interpersonal skills to manage a team of engineers.
- Excellent problem solving ability.
- Be dynamic, ready to respond to ad hoc queries.
- At least 3 years’ experience leading software engineering project teams.
- Provable track record of delivering projects to a high standard, with minimal defects.
- Be able to demonstrate work that has pushed an organization forward, such as, improving standards, deploying new technologies that are consistent with the roadmap, improving business processes, solid product knowledge for the systems Enable develops, contributions to team OKRs.
Enable Global Inc provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Enable complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Enable expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Enable employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
See more open positions at Enable
Something looks off?