Senior Software Engineer, Mobile/Cloud Lead
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2023
WHO WE ARE
Emerge is a consumer technology company building a future where distance and time don’t stand in the way of feeling connected.
Starting with a new product category that enables the sense of touch and emotion sharing in the virtual world, the Emerge Wave-series (beta launched and sold out in 2022) emits ultrasound forcefields to create tactile sensations users can feel with bare hands - no gloves or controllers needed. This platform unlocks new possibilities for real-time social interaction across distance and time, where friends and families can play, create, and feel physical and emotional connection in a virtual social space (AR/VR/3D). Imagine a virtual high five, holding another person's hand, or giving someone a soothing caress from across the world.
Founded in 2015 and based in Los Angeles, CA, Emerge is backed by venture capital firms including M13 and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen’s Vulcan Capital, and other notable investors such as former Google CEO Eric Schmidt, leading Metaverse author Matthew Ball, and co-founders of Blizzard Entertainment, Twitch and Riot Games.
We are proud of our impact-focused and diverse team - we're 70% immigrants and first-generation Americans. We are former entrepreneurs and leaders in tech that have brought several products to market in the fields of consumer electronics, metaverse and gaming, and are passionate about mental and social wellness.
1. Our core values are empathy, respect, and humility.
2. The human experience drives our decisions across the entire company.
3. We value diversity of thought and the pre-established is challenged.
4. We are resourceful and believe in making the impossible possible.
5. We believe in transparency, quality and organization, and data-based decision making.
6. We move fast, celebrate every step, and take care of each other.
7. We're committed to serving our communities, and we take a stand on pressing social issues.
8. We never forget the why.
REPORTS TO SENIOR DIRECTOR OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
As Emerge’s Senior Mobile Cloud Lead Engineer, you will be working setting up the development environment in Mobile/cloud, code optimization, and feature development depending on product need.
You will collaborate with the product team to define, design, develop and deliver new exciting features. You will be part of a team that continuously explores, evaluates, and incorporates new technologies into our products and processes to improve development efficiency. You will work closely within cross functional teams to enable the consumer platform to reach the next level presence within immersive computing.
You thrive in a team environment and are considered a great team player as this role will require hands-on with a high-level of ownership and teamwork to achieve the company’s strategic objectives. Not to mention the excitement of working within the Metaverse on VR products and creating experiences.
- You will be setting up, managing and maintaining a database server or working with cloud services such as Google Firebase.
- Working with Reactive Native mobile development, App Center.
- Collaborate with product team to define, design, develop, and deliver new exciting features.
- Continuously explore, evaluate, and incorporate new technologies into our products and processes to improve development efficiency.
- 5+ years of Mobile SW experience, with strong CS fundamentals and Engineering best practices.
- Level 4 and up
- 3+ years of experience developing with React, React Native, Firebase in a production environment.
- Experience in design and development of mobile applications for Android/iOS.
- Experience in Web development backend services.
- Familiarity with Firebase services such as Cloud Messaging, Cloud Functions, Realtime Database, Cloud Firestore, and Authentication.
- Working experience with Reactive Native mobile development, App Center.
- You have experience in setting up, managing and maintaining a database server or working with cloud services such as Google Firebase.
- You are driven by the desire to solve problems with the goal to automate and scale.
- You are excellent at making technical decisions based on aggregated business goals.
- You have a good understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- In-depth knowledge of JSON format and NoSQL databases.
- You have a passion for new technologies and VR and the Metaverse excites you.
- You feel comfortable in a high-paced, changing environment associated with an early-stage startup.
- NICE TO HAVE: Conceptualize interesting and achievable VR interactions.
- Remote Position with ability to travel to Emerge HQ as needed.
- Able to start Immediately.
- Live/work in Los Angeles, CA (preferred, not required).
- As part of the interview process, you will conduct an exercise on HackerRank.
- This is a Level P4 Salary Band $135k-$200k depending on direct experience and critical skills required.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Stock Options and Competitive Salary based on experience with growth opportunities
- Premium Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance, Health Savings Account or Flexible Savings Account
- 401(k) Account
- Flexible PTO Policy
- Full Paid Parental Leave policy
- Career Development and Training
**Emerge is an equal opportunity employer. Emerge recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We believe, in order to succeed as a company, Emerge must be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to do their best work. In hiring, we seek out new and unique voices, and uphold a workplace environment of inclusivity. Diversity is more than a commitment at Emerge - it is the foundation of what we do.