Who We Are
Ellevest is a fast-growing, venture-backed financial services start-up built by women, for women. Our mission is to get more money in the hands of women, no matter where they’re starting or how far they’ve come. We started by building the only gender-aware online investing platform that takes totally un-ignorable realities (like pay gaps, different salary curves, and women’s longer lifespans) into account. Then we added financial planning services for Ellevest clients, plus a full-service private wealth management service that helps high net worth people, families, and institutions align their financial power with their values.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck after she realized that the financial services industry was built by men, for men, systemically leaving women behind. During her Wall Street days, she served as CEO of Smith Barney, CEO of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, and CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $145 million from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Ellevest is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. Data shows that diverse teams are more innovative, make better decisions, and lead to greater employee engagement. When hiring, we look for culture add, not culture fit. That means hiring people who bring new perspectives and different experiences to our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About This Position
As a Security Engineer at Ellevest, you will work hands-on across the organization to provide security support to protect sensitive data like client information and actively monitor our systems. In this role, you will work to maintain and enhance our information security program to create the safest environment for Ellevest members and data, and you’ll play a vital role in scaling and automating security infrastructure and procedures. Day-to-day you will work cross-functionally with the Product organization and review workflow security, in addition to Engineering on secure development practices and security code reviews, and to proactively identify and fix security vulnerabilities. The Fraud team will be a close partner as you work with them to continuously review fraud and ATO controls.
This role reports to the Director of Security, CISO.
Day-to-day you will:
- Maintain and enhance Ellevest’s information security program
- Develop and implement workflow for entitlements review, onboarding and offboarding in a SaaS world
- Develop, monitor, and investigate security events across the organization, including application vulnerability reports, SIEM events, DLP events, NGAV events, etc.
- Improve and maintain application security products, including vulnerability scanners
- Create efficiencies around logging, correlation, and auditing capabilities
We’re looking for:
- 4+ years of experience in Information Security with an expertise in one or more of the following areas: Network Security Monitoring, Vulnerability Management, Security Incident Response, Application Security, Corporate Security
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science with some concentration in Information Security or security-specific certifications that demonstrate equivalent proficiency
- A strong desire to flexibly work across the various security disciplines and step outside your comfort zone
- Comfort with working in an all Unix environment
- Deep Knowledge of Cloud Security
- Understanding of OWASP Top 10
- Experience with coding, scripting, AWS, or fraud (especially in a fintech environment) are welcome but not required
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest's compensation framework is based on relevant data, benchmarking and research for comparable companies and on our internal pay equity policies. The prospective annual salary range for this role is $125,000-$145,000. In addition to base salary, Ellevest compensation offering for full-time employees will also include the following benefits: equity, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical, dental and vision health insurance (80% of premiums covered by employer), unlimited paid time off and flexible scheduling, paid parental leave, learning and development opportunities, financial support for accessing reproductive healthcare, free access to an Ellevest account and discounts on Private Wealth Management offering. The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be determined by a number of factors including (but not limited to) the applicant's experience, skills, certifications, as well as internal equity among our team.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, but today, our fully remote team is spread across the whole United States. As a member of the team, you can expect to do work that directly impacts our mission and the lives of real women every day.
We’re also dedicated to building a work environment where everyone on our team can grow and thrive, with flexible working hours and time off; remote work policies designed for transparency and effective cross-team collaboration; ongoing team building and professional development; and more.
Do you think you could thrive in this role?
Please send us your application — even if you don’t check every single box. No two people’s career paths look exactly alike, and skill sets come in many different forms. We can’t wait to hear about yours.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the questions at the bottom of this application.