Financial Planner Consultant
Who We Are
Ellevest is a fast-growing, venture-backed financial services start-up built by women, for women. Our mission is to get more money in the hands of women, no matter where they’re starting or how far they’ve come. We started by building the only gender-aware online investing platform that takes totally un-ignorable realities (like pay gaps, different salary curves, and women’s longer lifespans) into account. Then we added financial planning services for Ellevest clients, plus a full-service private wealth management service that helps high net worth people, families, and institutions align their financial power with their values.
Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck after she realized that the financial services industry was built by men, for men, systemically leaving women behind. During her Wall Street days, she served as CEO of Smith Barney, CEO of Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, and CFO of Citi. Ellevest has raised $145 million from investors including Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Ellevest is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. Data shows that diverse teams are more innovative, make better decisions, and lead to greater employee engagement. When hiring, we look for culture add, not culture fit. That means hiring people who bring new perspectives and different experiences to our team. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About This Position
As a Financial Planner for Ellevest, you will have the opportunity to support our financial planning client experience, working as part of the financial planning team to deliver and scale our services. You will participate in individual client-facing and community engagements online and over the phone, bringing with you a comfort with those forms of communication and your knowledge from 5+ years of work on financial planning issues such as budgeting, debt repayment, saving for retirement, the home buying process, saving for other major goals, and more.
Your coaching mindset and educational approach will help clients make independent and informed decisions about their financial goals and stay on track to achieve those goals over time. You are confident speaking to audiences of 20+ people via webinars and workshops. This consulting (freelance) role is initially expected to require 5-10 hours per week but could vary over time depending on client volume and other business needs.
Please note this is a consultant position (part-time, independent contractor).
Day-to-day you will:
- Provide financial education and guidance to clients via 1:1 phone sessions and emails on topics including budgeting, debt repayment, emergency funding, retirement planning, buying a home, starting a family, starting a business, saving for other major goals, and in very limited amounts, insurance and estate planning
- Collaborate with Financial Planning team members to maintain a client experience with a consistent methodology, philosophy, and process
- Collaborate with our product, support, and design teams on the various Ellevest platforms (website, mobile app, etc.) to help improve client experience
- Present educational workshops and webinars to groups of 20+ people in a variety of settings (clients, prospects, non-profits, corporate employees, professional associations, etc.) via webinar
- Comply with Ellevest methods and guidelines, and uphold our documentation and organization standards to meet compliance requirements
- Promote professional and team development by maintaining an in-depth understanding of financial planning, capital markets and the financial services industry; stay aware of significant changes or developments (e.g. taxation, regulatory, legal, competitive, technical) within the fields of investments and financial services
We’re looking for:
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®) Professional certification that is current and active; additional designations such as Enrolled Agent (EA) or Certified Divorce Financial Analyst (CDFA) a plus
- 5+ years of broad financial planning experience; high volume experience is preferred
- Willingness to partner with the Ellevest brand and manage any potential conflicts with existing brands in order to best serve Ellevest clientele
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, high emotional intelligence and the ability to translate complex financial topics to audiences with different levels of experience and knowledge
- Willingness to lead group sessions, webinars, and workshops with 20+ attendees
- Experience relying on and adapting to new technology, especially in a remote setting
- Adapt to a fast-paced and dynamic remote work environment. This includes working independently and on a team, as well as the ability and willingness to pivot when something is not working to try a new strategy
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest's compensation framework is based on relevant data, benchmarking and research for comparable companies and on our internal pay equity policies. The prospective pay rate for this consulting role is $70-85/hour. The actual offer will be determined by a number of factors including (but not limited to) the applicant's experience, skills, certifications, as well as internal equity among our team. This is an independent contractor position and is not eligible for health insurance, retirement, or parental leave benefits.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest was founded in New York City, but today, our fully remote team is spread across the whole United States. As a member of the team, you can expect to do work that directly impacts our mission and the lives of real women every day.
We’re also dedicated to building a work environment where everyone on our team can grow and thrive, with flexible working hours and time off; remote work policies designed for transparency and effective cross-team collaboration; ongoing team building and professional development; and more.
Do you think you could thrive in this role?
Please send us your application — even if you don’t check every single box. No two people’s career paths look exactly alike, and skill sets come in many different forms. We can’t wait to hear about yours.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the questions at the bottom of this application.