Senior Computational Engineer, Structural Optimization
torrance, ca, usa
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Divergent is on a mission to democratize the design and manufacture of vehicles. We want to enable a future where small entrepreneurial teams across the globe will bring increasingly material and energy efficient transportation solutions to market with a fraction of the capital and time.
Divergent has invented a complete manufacturing solution to address system level challenges. The Divergent Adaptive Production System (DAPS) is a complete software hardware solution designed to replace traditional vehicle manufacturing. To make the complex simple, it is a complete modular digital factory for complex structures. Given a set of digital requirements as input, the machine automatically computationally engineers, additively manufactures, and assembles any complex structure. The system is able to move seamlessly between manufacturing different vehicle models.
Purpose of Job:
We are seeking an experienced Senior Computational Engineer to apply advanced methods of mathematical optimization and meshing to create tightly integrated software products for the generative design of 3D models for additive manufacturing and robotic assembly. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in CUDA based GPU programming, generative design, and finite element analysis, with a strong understanding of software development processes. The Senior Computational Engineer will be responsible for design, development, and maintenance of innovative optimization software that meets the needs of our clients and is continuously improved to stay ahead of industry trends.
If you are passionate about leveraging GPU computing, finite element analysis, and design optimization to create innovative software that solves complex problems, then we would love to hear from you.
Essential Job Functions and Performance Standards:
· Develop and maintain software development best practices to ensure high-quality code, efficient testing, and timely releases.
· Collaborate with other teams to ensure that our optimization software integrates seamlessly with other software products.
· Continuously monitor industry and research trends in GPU native finite element analysis and optimization and bring those ideas to the team.
Ph.D. or Masters in computer science, mathematics, computational science, engineering, or related fields.
· 5+ years of experience in software development with MS, or 2+ years and a PhD.
· Deep understanding of software development processes and best practices.
· Proven experience leveraging CUDA with kernels and shared, global memory.
· Proven experience leveraging the GPU with finite element solvers, preferably matrix-free.
· Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
· Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams, including product management, engineering, and customer success.
· Familiarity with design optimization software or related technologies is preferred.
· Strong proficiency in programming languages commonly used in meshing and FEA software development, such as CUDA, C++, and Python.
· Experience with commercial meshing and FEA software packages, such as ANSYS, Abaqus, Prosolve, HyperMesh, and OptiStruct.
· Knowledge of numerical methods commonly used in meshing and FEA, such as finite element method, boundary element method, finite cell, x-fem, etc..
· Familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) software and formats commonly used in engineering, such as NX, SolidWorks, CATIA, and STEP.
· Strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations.
· Experience with cloud computing, parallel processing, and high-performance computing for meshing and FEA.
· Knowledge of optimization algorithms commonly used in generative design, such as gradient-based optimization, MMA, and IPOPT.
· Familiarity with industry standards and regulations for meshing and FEA, such as ASME, ISO, and ASTM.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and solve complex technical issues.
Divergent is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Our positions adhere to all statutory and regulatory requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
No agencies, no solicitations, and no calls please. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.