Materials and Processing Engineering-Intern
torrance, ca, usa
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
Divergent is on a mission to democratize the design and manufacture of vehicles. We want to enable a future where small entrepreneurial teams across the globe will bring increasingly material and energy efficient transportation solutions to market with a fraction of the capital and time.
Divergent has invented a complete manufacturing solution to address system level challenges. The Divergent Adaptive Production System (DAPS) is a complete software hardware solution designed to replace traditional vehicle manufacturing. To make the complex simple, it is a complete modular digital factory for complex structures. Given a set of digital requirements as input, the machine automatically computationally engineers, additively manufactures, and assembles any complex structure. The system is able to move seamlessly between manufacturing different vehicle models.
Purpose of Job:
Responsible for day-to-day operations-related activities of four lab-scale printers such as start of builds, exchange of materials, and preventative maintenance work.
Essential Job Functions and Performance Standards:
- Measure material properties (density, hardness, and dimensions) using specialized testing equipment in the characterization lab.
- Maintain clean, organized, and operational laboratory space, equipment, and instruments.
- Section, mount, polish, and etch metallographic samples. Document and characterize components with optical and scanning electron microscopy.
- Track related consumable supplies and work with supply chain when additional supplies are required. Develop and improve R&D inventory procedures.
- Conduct powder blending, handling, and sieving operations.
- Follow standardized file systems, ensuring traceability of documentation for all R&D related tasks
- Analyze test results and data to determine conformance to internal R&D specifications
- Communicate findings orally and through technical report writing
- Participate in life cycle analysis of powder products and printed materials
- Manufacturing environment, work is often performed wearing PPE such as a respirators
- This position may be on first, second, evening, and/or weekend shift
Work Environment: Additive Manufacturing Laboratory and Materials Laboratory
High School Diploma, Current college student (chemical, mechanical or materials engineer) with a 3.0 minimum GPA
Familiarity with additive manufacturing technology, powder metallurgy, and related operations practices
Experience and/or knowledgeable of 3D printing and materials science
Divergent is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Our positions adhere to all statutory and regulatory requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
No agencies, no solicitations, and no calls please. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.