Principal Mechanical Engineer
torrance, ca, usa
Posted on Saturday, November 4, 2023
Divergent is on a mission to democratize the design and manufacture of vehicles. We want to enable a future where small entrepreneurial teams across the globe will bring increasingly material and energy efficient transportation solutions to market with a fraction of the capital and time.
Divergent has invented a complete manufacturing solution to address system level challenges. The Divergent Adaptive Production System (DAPS) is a complete software hardware solution designed to replace traditional vehicle manufacturing. To make the complex simple, it is a complete modular digital factory for complex structures. Given a set of digital requirements as input, the machine automatically computationally engineers, additively manufactures, and assembles any complex structure. The system is able to move seamlessly between manufacturing different vehicle models.
Purpose of Job:
Lead the design, development, and successful fielding of high-tech AM equipment systems and peripheral equipment that meets safety, cost productivity, manufacturability, reliability and serviceability objectives.
Essential Job Functions and Performance Standards:
1) Responsible for overall product architecture and systems design, including definition, scoping, specifications, concept generation, analysis, prototyping, detailed design, validation testing, and releasing.
2) Use strong communication skills to generate solutions, translating feedback and objectives from internal specialists into clear and concise requirements.
3) Test and troubleshoot complex electro-mechanical systems, mentoring and guiding team members in problem resolution.
4) Continuously improve and automate equipment functions to increase overall process efficiency including factors such as uptime, turnover rate and associated touch labor, manufacturability, and cost.
5) Produce and review team’s documentation including design reviews, drawings, engineering change orders, technical reports, ensuring that sound engineering principles are rigorously applied in designs and robustly documented.
6) Working with cross-disciplinary team members to maximize the efficiency of these systems and add new capabilities, including identifying and evaluating vendors.
Individual will work in a mixed office and light manufacturing environment, PPE as required for specific tasks.
· MS or Ph.D. in mechanical, electrical, or aerospace engineering, or relevant field
· 15+ years of relevant work experiences developing and deploying advanced technologies
· Demonstrated experience with the design, development, and troubleshooting of industrial manufacturing equipment and mechanical assemblies
· Proven technical and team leadership skillset, proficient in mentoring, problem-solving and design of experiments (DOE)
· Strong knowledge of fabrication processes and metalworking methods and Design for Manufacturability (DFM)
· Strong knowledge and experience with a wide variety of sensors, dynamic and static systems and mechanisms, actuators
· Solid modeling
· Creating and reviewing precise system-level documentation (i.e., work instructions, root cause analysis, Engineering Change Orders, etc.)
· Skill in a variety of rapid prototyping and fabrication methods including metalworking, welding, machining, 3D printing, etc.
Divergent is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Our positions adhere to all statutory and regulatory requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
No agencies, no solicitations, and no calls please. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.