Equipment Design Engineer
torrance, ca, usa
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Divergent is on a mission to democratize the design and manufacture of vehicles. We want to enable a future where small entrepreneurial teams across the globe will bring increasingly material and energy efficient transportation solutions to market with a fraction of the capital and time.
Divergent has invented a complete manufacturing solution to address system level challenges. The Divergent Adaptive Production System (DAPS) is a complete software hardware solution designed to replace traditional vehicle manufacturing. To make the complex simple, it is a complete modular digital factory for complex structures. Given a set of digital requirements as input, the machine automatically computationally engineers, additively manufactures, and assembles any complex structure. The system is able to move seamlessly between manufacturing different vehicle models.
Your Role: Machine Design Engineer
What You'll Do:
· Lead the development of new feedback and control schemes for Additive Manufacturing (AM) equipment to be integrated into an automated AM-enabled manufacturing environment.
· Develop system architecture and topology, as well as generate design and associated specifications in full design cycles at the systems and sub-system levels for the 3D printers.
· Lead planning and executing mechanical designs using 3D CAD models through the entire design review and product development process.
· Ensures documentation is consistent with standards as applicable (ANSI, DIN etc.) as well as best-known methods for GD&T; demonstrates the ability to properly utilize them.
· Specify, develop, and test of control, motion, and sensing systems.
· Work cross-functionally with system engineers and AM experts in improving process performance, stability, and robustness.
· Architecture and implement system integrations as needed.
· Plan, design, and oversee tests to quantify and validate the performance of new subsystems.
· Provide technical leadership on control and sensing-related systems.
· Work with Structural Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Materials Engineers, and testing teams to develop business capabilities, technical strategies, implementation strategies, and architectures.
What You Have:
· BS in Mechanical Engineering or Equivalent with a solid mechanical design background coupled with strong engineering skills
· 5+ years of track record of developing robust and maintainable systems through a full cycle development process.
· Professional experience using 3D CAD tools such as Solidworks , NX to lead the design and development of systems components and sub-assemblies and taking those designs to production.
· Working knowledge of Statistics Process Control (SPC), Design of Experiments (DOE), Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis (D-FMEA), Root Cause-Corrective Action (RCCA) and problem-solving methods.
· Hands-on experience with electrical and mechanical system design and performance tuning.
· Experience with data acquisition systems, sensor feedback, and controls.
· Familiarity with AM processes and machines.
· Solid interpersonal skills, skilled at interfacing with and influencing engineering and manufacturing stakeholders to establish system designs and understand the associated constraints.
· Ability to work in a team environment with aggressive deadlines and multiple priorities
· Experience designing and delivering metal additive manufacturing systems.
· Design, development, and analysis of optical systems.
· Familiarity with various types of sensors and sensing systems.
· Experience with various sensing systems including optical and electromagnetic-based systems.
· Understanding of the physical principles of thermal, optical, mechanical, and electromagnetic systems.
· Operations of CNC machines and understanding of G-Code.
· Familiarity with precision assemblies and motion mechanics.
· Experience working in a Start-up environment.
Divergent is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Our positions adhere to all statutory and regulatory requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
No agencies, no solicitations, and no calls please. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.