Dev Ops Engineer
Clear Ballot Group, Inc.
Our nation’s elections are being challenged like never before, and the elections industry has historically stifled innovation to improve voting technology. As the first newcomer in the industry in the last 30 years, Clear Ballot rises to the challenge with a simple goal: Let’s create technology that empowers our customers to improve democracy.
Elections are the cornerstone of our democracy, with the right to vote being one of our greatest freedoms. While most Americans across the country watch and read about elections, Clear Ballot lives them. Great elections require secure and reliable tabulation equipment, full transparency of the process in which ballots are created and cast, and the ability to audit the results. Our mission is to surpass those expectations in a way that will raise the bar for the entire election technology industry.
At Clear Ballot, we view collaboration as one of our main drivers for success and we encourage all of our employees to share their thoughts and ideas to help both turn our bold vision into a reality and to make Clear Ballot a great place to work.
About This Role
This is an excellent opportunity for a seasoned DevOps Engineer to manage a wide range of new and existing technology. You should take pride in crafting systems that are user-centric and reliable with monitoring and reporting across key metrics. You love CI/CD and champion the value of deploying multiple times a day, even if those releases are not customer-facing. You automate things that you do not want to handle manually anymore. You are driven to find ways to accelerate the delivery of features and releases based on a combination of process, tools, and infrastructure.
In addition to your DevOps responsibilities, you will play a vital role in fortifying our organization's systems and data against security threats. This involves the implementation and upkeep of security measures, routine security assessments, and swift responses to incidents.
This role is a hybrid position. Applicants must be able to occasionally but routinely work from our offices in Boston and Nashua, NH
Key Responsibilities and Areas of Focus:
Support Product Development
- Set up and maintain the GitLab infrastructure to support version control, collaboration, and CI/CD processes
- Ensure the reliability and performance of GitLab instances
- Implement and manage monitoring solutions for both GitLab and the underlying infrastructure
- Implement, maintain, and monitor infrastructure components that support cloud-based products running in Azure and AWS
- Develop and implement a comprehensive backup and recovery strategy for critical applications to ensure data integrity and availability
- Collaborate with our support, operations, and engineering teams to troubleshoot and resolve infrastructure issues in development, testing, and production environments
- Participate in on-call rotations, guiding restoration and repair of service-impacting issues
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation
Network Security Infrastructure
- Maintain security infrastructure, including firewalls, intrusion detection/prevention systems, VPNs, and other security-related technologies
- Conduct security assessments and audits of existing systems to identify vulnerabilities and weaknesses
- Monitor network traffic for security events and incidents
Security Monitoring and Analysis
- Monitor security alerts and events; analyze data to identify trends and potential security incidents
- Collaborate with other teams to improve security monitoring capabilities
Security and Awareness Training
- Provide security awareness training to employees and users
- Promote a security-conscious culture within the organization
Research and Innovation:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define and implement DevOps best practices
- Stay current with the latest trends and developments in cybersecurity
- Evaluate new security technologies and make recommendations for their adoption
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field or the equivalent demonstrated work experience
- Proven experience as a DevOps Engineer or similar role
- Strong scripting skills (e.g., Python, Shell)
- Proficiency in using CI/CD tools (e.g, GitLab)
- Experience with containerization tools (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of cloud computing platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, or GCP)
- Understanding of security best practices in a DevOps environment
- Able to commute into our Nashua and Boston locations as necessary
- Excellent communication and collaborations kills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Clear Ballot Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity and dedicated to professional development and advancement. We believe everyone deserves to work in a welcoming, respectful and considerate environment. We live by our values and hire accordingly.
Our talented team and driven investors share a passion for solving problems and restoring confidence in America’s democratic process. We are looking for energetic professionals to join us in this mission.
Take a minute and ask yourself this question: Do you care about increasing transparency in elections, defending a fair democratic process, and innovating for public good?
If the answer is a resounding "YES!", we want you to join our team.