Senior Applied Data Scientist (Experience with MTA)
What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Are you interested in using data science to solve new and challenging problems in innovative ways — like helping a media conglomerate measure the impact of their marketing and advertising campaigns to optimize investments across a wide range of media channels? Civis Analytics is looking for a Senior Applied Data Scientist to join our commercial Applied Data Science (ADS) practice and help us solve some of the most challenging and interesting questions facing Media businesses today.
They work closely with teams across the company, including engineering, product, legal, finance, and sales. Often they find themselves managing cross-functional teams to advise, oversee, and communicate their work internally and externally. They lead the scoping of their projects and are the face of Civis. They help grow Civis' business through delivering excellent work and identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company.
- A Senior ADS runs the end-to-end execution of client engagements utilizing data science, which includes:
- Handling client relationships and communication on day-to-day projects and initiatives, with stakeholders of varying technical experience or familiarity with methods
- Leading and structuring project research design, including statistical analysis, modeling techniques, and data management methods, and working with cross-functional teams of data scientists and software engineers where necessary to create and implement solutions
- Managing the unification of large 1st- and 3rd-party datasets, and building predictive models
- Translating findings into clear, actionable, and timely insights with the appropriate business context
- As part of the Media sector practice:
- Work closely with Applied Data Science teams to lead Multi-Touch Attribution (MTA) modeling and MTA-powered solutions
- Influence and collaborate on channel-level media strategies based on marketing, audience, and consumer insights.
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, etc) or Business
- A strong foundation in statistics and data analytics expertise in survey research and statistical modeling. Familiarity with machine learning, and causal inference a plus. This will be demonstrated by having at least 4 years of experience working with large data sets to solve real-world business challenges
- Experience managing teams to complete projects within scope and on time
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision-makers
- Experience with Multi-Touch Attribution (MTA) modeling and MTA-powered marketing effectiveness measurement and attribution solutions
- Advanced degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, business, etc.) or Masters in Business Administration
- Expertise in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Experience working for a consulting, services, or advisory firm
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
- Experience presenting completed work or pitching new work to executive audiences
All employees either must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, initiate vaccination before your start date, or file an exemption request prior to start date per company policy for review.
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- Salary: $105,000 (a cost of living adjustment may be added for qualifying locations).
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.