Posted on Thursday, October 5, 2023
As a Data Scientist, you’ll work directly with our customers to solve challenging problems at the intersection of materials science and machine learning.
At Citrine, we’re using generative Artificial Intelligence to enable our customers to usher in the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals.
We’re the leader in AI for materials and chemicals. Our no-code SaaS platform gives product developers, researchers, and engineers access to domain-specific data management and AI tools. Our models propose new ways to combine ingredients and processes that are most likely to outperform, helping companies discover and deploy innovative, sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals up to 98% faster than traditional R&D approaches.
Citrine regularly wins awards for innovation and sustainability, earning spots on the CB Insights AI 100 list and the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in the US. Our customers include leading organizations such as LyondellBasell, Braskem, Grace, Synthomer, and Solvay. We also collaborate with researchers from world-renowned institutions on cutting-edge research at the intersection of AI and the physical sciences. Our team is ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, driven by our sustainability mission, and eager to grow and learn from each other. We’re headquartered in California, with team members throughout North America and Europe. We’re growing quickly, and we’re looking for the best to join us!
About the Role
Citrine is building the future of data and AI in the materials industry. As a member of the Data Science team, you will play a core role in developing that future and implementing it with our customers. You will work directly with our customers to solve challenging problems at the intersection of materials science and machine learning. You’ll also provide outstanding data science training and support to our customers to help them understand how to use Citrine tools, and how to integrate machine learning into their workflows. We are involved in every step of bringing value to Citrine's customers: scoping out deliverables with the customer, prototyping solutions in code, working with Citrine’s product and engineering teams to develop platform solutions, and working with the customer to put the solution into practice via the Citrine Platform.
- Applying and implementing Citrine's machine learning framework to solve product development challenges in materials, chemicals, and manufacturing companies.
- Frequent and empathetic communication with customers to provide unparalleled, domain-aware data science support.
- Providing technical training to empower customers to use the platform effectively and integrate data- and AI-driven decision-making into their workflows.
- Collaborating with Citrine’s product and engineering teams, bringing a unique perspective from direct customer interactions and deep technical expertise to inform the development of platform solutions to meet market needs.
- Engaging with the broader materials community by leading webinars and workshops to grow the Citrine user community.
Skills and Experience
- Degree in materials science, chemistry, physics, or a related field
- Enthusiasm for working with customers in the materials industry to drive adoption of the Citrine Platform
- Enthusiasm for working with cross-functional teams to develop technical and non-technical solutions to customer challenges
- Programming skills (Python preferred)
- Experience or coursework in machine learning and/or statistics
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously to scope out new projects, prioritize, manage time effectively, and execute aggressive deadlines
- Enthusiasm to own projects end-to-end: from data clean-up to model refinement to delivery to the customer to quantification of value delivered
- Exceptional communication skills
- 2+ years of professional experience in the materials and chemicals industry
- Experience applying machine learning to physical science use cases
- Experience in a customer-facing role
- Teaching experience
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the interview process.
Our Core Values
Citrine Informatics recognizes that its most valuable asset is its people. We have created our set of Core Values to encourage, support, and invest in our team as they work to innovate and support a more sustainable world. Our Core Values reflect our ongoing commitment to continuously invest in nurturing our talent and our people-first approach to conducting business.
- We take pride in and recognize the successes and growth of ourselves and our colleagues. We support each other in our growth.
- We prototype and collect data to make good decisions. We question that data and are constantly iterating to find the best solution.
- We are all owners of Citrine and make decisions like owners. We work autonomously with personal and organizational accountability.
- We commit to building a diverse and inclusive community within Citrine and actively promote equity and belonging.
- We are tirelessly committed to creating value for our customers.
- We exist to help our customers accelerate the development of sustainable products that are critical to the future of both our planet and our industry.
Compensation and Pay Transparency
At Citrine, we want your path to career growth to be transparent, straightforward, fair, and easily accessible -- starting with your application and interview process. The annual salary range listed below reflects the level we are considering for this position (please note that there may be unique situations where you may fall outside of this range). Where you fall within the range will depend on how your experience and skills align with our internal leveling system as we learn more about you throughout the interview process.
$120,000 USD - $137,000 USD
*Range(s) listed are for full-time employees based in the United States only.
**Colorado only: disclosure above meets the requirement by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Our Benefits (for exempt, full-time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4%
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
Life and Disability insurance
FSA and HSA plans
Equity options within the company
12 weeks of paid parental leave
Flexible PTO on top of our 15 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$600 tech allowance
Monthly $75 phone reimbursement
$5,000 annual continuing educational allowance