Robotics Test Technician
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 8, 2022
Chef Robotics is on a mission to accelerate the advent of intelligent machines in the physical world. As the rise of LLMs like ChatGPT has shown, AI has the potential to drive immense change. However, we believe AI’s biggest impact will be in the physical world, given industries like manufacturing, food, and transportation represent 90% of global GDP. We're starting with food, with a goal to put an intelligent robot in every commercial kitchen in the world. We have signed multiple multi-year contracts with various large food companies and we are growing fast. We're backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Construct, Bloomberg BETA and Promus Ventures. We have a great team, where you will be surrounded by talented engineers and tech leaders from companies like Cruise, Zoox, Google, Verb Surgical, Tesla, Nuro, Vicarious, Amazon Robotics, Strateos, Built Robotics, Facebook, Plenty, Yelp, and Microsoft.
The next decade of technology growth will be driven by AI and robotics. Do you want to join in the excitement, opportunities and rewards that will come? Do you want to be part of a young company at the forefront? If you do, know that it will be hard work, if you are up for it, then this might be the job for you. The role is to join with our performance team to assess the performance, reliability, and usability of our robots. The job centers on performing routine software and hardware tests including:
• Owning the setup, tear down, and clean up of the robots and testing area.
• Running through standard operating procedures and diligently note observations.-
• Writing up bug tickets and do a first level triage to understand any problems.-
• Analyzing and communicate results with the engineering team.
Chef robots include AI imaging, perception and autonomy using cameras and other sensors, end effector components to move ingredients, a robotic arm and other mechatronics. The job requires technical skills to understand the basics of these components and how they function together in the robotic system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include the following
• Collect data about robot and food manipulation performance
• Executing data collection procedures
• Organize and analyze collected data for the engineering team
• Coordinating and executing inspection, maintenance, and repair tasks.
• Maintaining test reports in alignment with quality procedures.
• Recognize, communicate, and properly document product issues.
• Escalate problems, when needed, to appropriate resource(s) for solutions.
• Assist in the development and refinement of maintenance procedures and tools.
You are passionate about robotics. You have a strong track record of successful software and hardware testing preferably intelligent robots. You know how to manage your time, are self-driven, capable of figuring out what needs to be done, scheduling, and executing . Your skills include mechatronics trouble shooting and repair. You have a working knowledge of computers and electronics so you can load, configure and deploy new software.
- 2+ years in a similar role
- Experience performing tests on physical systems.
- Keen attention to detail and ability to follow instructions.
- Able to communicate technical information clearly.
- Ability to travel for 25% of time is required. You will occasionally travel to customer facilities to perform these tests.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule to support customer, including some weekends, nights, and on-call hours.
- Experience at a robotics company.
- Familiarity with Linux and command line interfaces (CLI).
- Exposure to ROS (Robot Operating System).
- Experience building test fixtures and automated testing routines.
- Exposure to software development concepts, programming languages (C++ and Python).
- Experience with basic hardware design, fabrication techniques, and mechanics of materials.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizen status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, age, pregnancy status, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status.
Multiple studies have found that a higher percentage of women and BIPOC candidates won't apply if they don't meet every listed qualification. Chef values candidates of all backgrounds. If you find yourself excited by our mission but you don't check every box in the description, we encourage you to apply anyway!