Director of Product, Emerging Managers
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to unlock the power of equity ownership for more people in more places.
Carta is trusted by more than 40,000 companies and over two billion people in nearly 160 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports nearly 7,000 funds and SPVs, and represents nearly $130B in assets under administration. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $15B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today, Carta’s platform manages nearly three trillion dollars in equity globally.
Companies and funds like Tribe and Pipe build their businesses on Carta. The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S., a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category and certified as a Great Place to Work.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Problems You’ll Solve
We manage over $130B in assets in our fund admin platform today. What’s even more astounding is that 50% of our funds were started by investment managers who started their first fund on Carta. For the last four years, we’ve been working to make Carta the de facto solution to Emerging Managers.
In 2020, we started building for Emerging Managers. In 2021, we launched SPV formations and Fund formations to make it easier for Emerging Managers to get started in their investing careers. In 2022, we acquired the legal structuring platform, Vauban, to further our mission and deepen our expertise in this space. This year, on top of fund administration and formations, we launched a fund tax offering. We’ve also been working to integrate the Vauban legal structure platform with our event based accounting platform.
The work we’ve done has helped expand the venture capital asset class and bring diversity to the capital allocators who fund an even more diverse set of ideas and founders. We are looking for a product leader and GM to drive our emerging manager strategy. Today, this continues to be an important top of funnel strategy for our Fund Admin business. In the limit, the technology we build on this team will be an essential part of the operating system for VCs of all stages and even across other asset classes. In the short term, this leader will help us navigate problems like:
- How do we tell the market about the power of the post-integrated platform of Carta + Vauban?
- How do we help emerging managers onboard onto Carta in a seamless way?
- How do we provide the right type of education about Carta and venture capital to set emerging managers up for success?
- What other services and products should we build to drive adoption among Emerging Managers?
- How do you bring together seemingly disparate and cross-geo teams at Carta in service of a common mission and goal around Emerging Managers.
The Team You’ll Work With
The emerging manager team is made up of two sub-teams within the Carta Venture Capital organization - formations and tax. Both teams are made up of people from the former-Vauban and Carta Venture Capital teams. The org is made up of over 40 passionate and talented people in R&D, delivery, and GTM. The remarkable thing about the people on these teams is that they thrive in ambiguity. Given a complex and unbounded problem, they can run really fast towards a series of wrong answers until they get to the right ones. What they need is a leader to harness these skills towards a meaningful mission and goal. They are in need of their champion.
- You operate as an owner. No work or problem is below or above your pay grade. You can strike the right balance between empowering others and doing what needs to be done.
- You can set up a team rhythm that is unifying and keeps the trains running on time.
- You are empathetic and willing with live in the trenches with your customers
- You are a great coach and can help nurture and grow your product team.
- You love going deep on problems and learning about complex tax, legal, and accounting problems.
- Whether you are discussing technical architecture with engineers, presenting the product strategy to the Executive Team, or engaging with a customer on their challenges, you are an adept communicator to a variety of audiences.
- You are a great story teller and inspire your org towards a common mission and vision.
- You can connect the dots between disparate functions in the org to drive higher level business outcomes.
- You are an expert at influencing without authority.
- You have perseverance to withstand the ups and downs of a scaling business.
Carta’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, exceptional benefits, and, for applicable roles, commissions plans. Our minimum cash compensation (salary + commission if applicable) range for this role is:
- $225,000- $300,000 in [San Francisco]
Final offers may vary from the amount listed based on geography, candidate experience and expertise, and other factors.