Business Development Manager, Private Equity
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to create more owners.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. We’ve also been recognized as a 2023 Built In Best Place to Work in the U.S. and a Muse VIBE Award winner in the Vacation and Time Off category.
For more information about our offices and culture, check out our Carta careers page.
The Team You’ll Work With
The Business Development Manager, Private Equity will represent Carta in-market and advance the company’s efforts to grow its network, deepen existing relationships, and develop additional business opportunities in the Private Equity space. The Business Development team works cross-functionally to drive ecosystem partnerships to accelerate our growing business. Ideal candidates will be energized by building and managing impactful external relationships, driving cross-functional collaboration, digging into data, finding scalable and repeatable best practices, constructing strategic communications, and helping to change practice and create more owners across a rapidly evolving industry.
The Problems You’ll Solve
You will expand Carta’s distribution and market share by helping us deepen working relationships with key partners—and developing relationships with new ones. You will represent Carta as a valuable contributor to the Private Equity ecosystem, helping us to drive portfolio penetration and create more owners in the space.
- Deepen and expand Carta’s relationships and influence with Private Equity (PE) sponsors
- Execute and refine strategies to reliably drive PE portfolios to 50%+ penetration on the Carta platform
- Drive non-linear network, relationship, and revenue growth at the Sponsor and Portco levels
- Create awareness and adoption at the sponsor and portco level of Carta's growing suite of PE products
- Interface with deal teams during deal execution phase to maximize Carta's value prop for sponsors as well as portco management teams
- Lead discovery on additional paths for Carta to add value to PE sponsors’ platforms
- Promote Carta’s thought leadership in the PE space, helping Carta to craft effective and engaging content to progress the industry’s thinking and grow its increasing focus on Carta
- Create champions for Carta’s products within PE law firm practices and consulting groups
- Work cross-functionally across the business with Sales, Marketing, Product, Engineering, Implementations, and Support; convey feedback from the field to internal stakeholders
- Leverage Salesforce to map partner contacts and maintain Carta’s partner contact database for PE
- Represent Carta in the field, meeting with current and prospective partners and attending industry events on Carta’s behalf (up to 25% travel)
You enjoy building lasting, productive relationships. You are curious, and you’re driven to key in on relationships and strategies that benefit all sides. You dig in to find ways to work with others. You are data-informed. You are empathetic with respect to the needs of our ecosystem partners. You have a strong moral compass. You are motivated by making a material impact on our business. You are energized by sharing your learnings with others. You roll up your sleeves to partner with colleagues from across the company to explore what’s possible and drive results.
- Significant knowledge of the Private Equity/Buyout industry
- Strong familiarity with how PE economics are structured, including performance-based clauses and complex waterfalls
- Relevant network of contacts within the community, specifically encompassing PE sponsors
- Strong communication, presentation, and networking skills, with experience leading meetings with key leaders and decision makers
- Deep understanding of SaaS business models
- Relevant Business Development / Partnerships or other industry experience
- Prior experience in PE deal cycles
- Prior experience building or analyzing PE economics and waterfalls
- Prior experience managing relationships with high-profile ecosystem partners including law firms, investment funds, consultants, or other technology companies
- Understanding of equity management, liquidity, fund administration, or valuation services.
Carta’s compensation package includes a market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, exceptional benefits, and, for applicable roles, commissions plans. Our minimum cash compensation (salary + commission if applicable) range for this role is:
- $200,000 - $240,000 in [NY]
- $200,000 - $240,000 in [SF]
Final offers may vary from the amount listed based on geography, candidate experience and expertise, and other factors.