Intern, FPGA Engineer
Capella Space stands at the forefront of synthetic aperture radar (SAR) Earth observation intelligence and advanced satellite technologies. We provide customers in governments, academia, and commercial sectors with reliable information that enables unparalleled understanding of the world. Our mission is centered on delivering timely and reliable Earth imagery, supporting diverse applications in defense & intelligence, disaster response, energy, environmental monitoring and more. Utilizing cutting-edge technology, Capella Space designs, manufactures and operates an advanced constellation of SAR imaging satellites. Our market-leading SAR satellites are complemented by an unmatched data infrastructure and automated ordering and delivery platform for fast, reliable insights where and when customers need it most.
Recognized for our technological prowess, Capella Space was honored as one of the 10 most innovative companies in Space in 2023 by FASTCOMPANY. Capella Space is an internationally trusted Earth Observation data provider, working closely with the U.S. Space Systems Command, U.S. Space Force, NASA, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. National Reconnaissance Office, the Canadian Government and more to make unclassified, high-resolution SAR data more accessible.
What Makes Capella Unique?
Capella Space is a highly collaborative team environment, providing an opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the space industry, though no prior space experience is needed. We’re looking for people excited about tackling seemingly impossible challenges, learning new skills and concepts, and helping each other achieve success. Our mission and our products are meant to understand the whole world and help everyone in it - regardless of race, creed, or any other distinction. We encourage you to bring your unique perspective to help make us stronger, including applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Capella Space Tasking & Scheduling team is looking for summer interns. The team applies cutting-edge mathematical and optimization techniques to automate the planning, scheduling and commanding of a dynamic constellation of SAR satellites. As an intern on this team, you will be exposed to a diverse set of impactful and engaging technical problems that draw from principals in software engineering, physics, mathematics and optimization. This is a great opportunity for an undergraduate that is passionate for space, technology, computer programming and eager to learn best practices and solve complex technical problems.
What you'll be doing during your internship
As an FPGA Engineer Intern at Capella Space, you will be responsible for assisting in the design, development, and testing of FPGA-based systems. You will be working with a small team of engineers on next-generation SAR space satellite utilizingRadio Frequency (RF) System on Chip (SoC) technology. Our team covers the design process to enable high-bandwidth RADAR processing, SSD data storageand data downlink.Ideal candidate has a strong capacity for working under general direction from senior-level engineers and is capable of troubleshooting problems during integration, evaluating fixes, and implementing fixes to meet challenging schedules.
What you'll be doing during your internship
- Assist in the design and development of FPGA-based systems.
- Implement and verify FPGA designs alongside embedded Linux drivers.
- Support the integration of new FPGA code into existing software frameworks.
- Write code to help evaluate performance and automate testing of RF waveforms in hardware.
What you'll need to succeed
- Knowledge of FPGA architectures and technologies.
- Coursework or experience in RTL design (System Verilog / VHDL) and embedded software development (C / C++ / Python).
- Familiarity with the Xilinx Vivado Design Suite and Linux operating systems.
- Familiarity with lab equipment including oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and signal generators.
- A desire to learn hardware development, including working in a fast-paced and hands-on environment.
The target pay for this position is $35/hour. The actual pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
- Capella provides a one-time stipend to cover your needs during the Summer.
- Daily provided lunches and stocked kitchens has you covered at both office locations.
- Swag! Work hard but look cool while doing it! Each intern gets a welcome package with their own swag during their time here so you can rock Capella anywhere you go.
- Events: Capella hosts social & educational events each month for all Capella employees, but also during the summer program for the entire intern class.
- Mentorship: each intern is paired with a mentor that supports & guides them through their time at Capella.
- Furry friends? We’ve got you covered with dog-friendly work environment.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Capella Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.”
Equal Opportunity Statement
Capella Space is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, and upholding equitable hiring practices.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic under federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you need assistance or require an accommodation during the job application process, please notify email@example.com