Director, HR & People Operations
Capella Space stands at the forefront of synthetic aperture radar (SAR) satellite technology and signal intelligence. We provide customers in governments, academia, and commercial sectors with reliable information that enables unparalleled understanding of the world. Our mission is centered on delivering timely and reliable Earth imagery, supporting diverse applications in defense & intelligence, disaster response, energy, environmental monitoring and more. Utilizing cutting-edge technology, Capella Space designs, manufactures and operates an advanced constellation of SAR imaging satellites. Our market-leading SAR satellites are complemented by an unmatched data infrastructure and automated ordering and delivery platform for fast, reliable insights where and when customers need it most.
Recognized for our technological prowess, Capella Space was honored as one of the 10 most innovative companies in Space in 2023 by FASTCOMPANY. Capella Space is an internationally trusted Earth Observation data provider, working closely with the U.S. Space Systems Command, U.S. Space Force, NASA, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. National Reconnaissance Office, the Canadian Government and more to make unclassified, high-resolution SAR data more accessible.
What Makes Capella Unique?
Capella Space is a highly collaborative team environment, providing an opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the space industry, though no prior space experience is needed. We’re looking for people excited about tackling seemingly impossible challenges, learning new skills and concepts, and helping each other achieve success. Our mission and our products are meant to understand the whole world and help everyone in it - regardless of race, creed, or any other distinction. We encourage you to bring your unique perspective to help make us stronger, including applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech.
About the Role
Capella is looking for a Director, HR & People Operations to lead the department as the company scales into the next phase of operational growth. This is a unique opportunity to work hands-on and at a strategic level to operationalize best practices within the People department to support company acceleration. Reporting directly to our Vice President, Business Operations this person will be accountable for major functions of the HR Operations team including Performance Management, Employee Engagement and Recognition, Employee Relations, Compensation & Total Rewards, Talent Development, DEIA initiatives, Benefits Administration, Employee On-Boarding & Off Boarding, HR Compliance/Audit, HRIS and other related activities. Best fit for this role is someone who is excited about scaling systems and processes, engaging daily with employees, and providing hands-on operational direction to a motivated and skilled team.
This position will sit in our Louisville, CO office and we anticipate travel to our San Francisco office one week per quarter.
- Lead and be an integral member of the People function, influencing and supporting the business through change, triumphs, challenges, and milestones.
- Collaborate with the VP of Business Operations and Executive Leadership Team (ELT) to build and execute the organization’s goals and strategy related to People, Engagement, and Culture.
- In partnership with the ELT, gain a deep understanding of business goals and priorities, and ensure we have the right talent in place to achieve them. Be instrumental in having a finger on the pulse of our culture and building strategies to create moments that speak to and retain our employees.
- Assist in the development of high-performance frameworks, proactively driving strategies for teams and individuals to unlock their potential, thrive and chase greatness.
- Proactively identify problems and opportunities to help prioritize and plan our people roadmap and fill the gap with immediate short-term solutions while building sustainable longer term.
- Plan and implement initiatives, processes, policies, and training to support the organization’s growth
- Administer and/or oversee the People programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and leave administration; employee relations; performance and talent management; mentorship and coaching; employee engagement, occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Manage team of People Operations Generalists, Office & Culture Managers, and Payroll Specialist.
- Provide strategic consultation to enhance employee performance and engagement and offer data-driven recommendations for performance management.
- Partner with Head of Talent to integrate talent planning strategies for an high-quality process from recruitment to on-boarding.
- Establish best practices policies for training, onboarding, career development, and engagement scorecards/dashboards.
- Stay abreast of HR trends, regulatory changes, and new technologies, including oversight of internal HR systems/operations.
- 10+ years of progressive HR leadership experience with fluency in coaching senior leadership on complex people issues.
- Excellent understanding of the HR space including performance management, leadership development, organizational design & development, talent management, compensation and total rewards, labor laws and regulations, and diversity, equity, and inclusion methodologies.
- Outstanding interpersonal and influencing skills, with a demonstrated experience in fostering relationships and influencing stakeholders at all levels and personalities.
- You will be required to drive decision-making, so clarity of thought is essential. You’ll have incredible attention to detail and ability to draw insights from many qualitative and quantitative sources.
- Strong understanding and experience using Radford Global Technology survey, designing and maintaining compensation models.
- A flexible attitude and a willingness to take on individual contributor work; a “no task too small” mindset.
- Sincere ability to embed into a workforce and culture; build trust and be seen as an advocate and resource.
- Experience in startup and/or high-growth environment preferred.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Experience with HRIS, ATS, Performance Management systems. Proficient in MS Office365.
- Bachelor's degree in HR, Business Administration, Psychology, or related field (Masters’ preferred). Certification in HR Management a plus.
The annual salary range for this role as it is posted is $133,800 - $177,350. The final job level and annual salary will be determined based on the education, qualification, knowledge, skills, ability, and experience of the final candidate(s), specific office location and calibrated against relevant market data and internal team equity. Benefits listed in this posting may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Capella Space.
In addition to an opportunity to take part in an innovative, collaborative and fast-growing business with a highly motivated and skilled team, we also take pride in taking care of our employees. Here are just a few ways that we show our appreciation:
- We offer up to 100% paid medical coverage, with robust vision and dental plans. Looking for more? We offer comprehensive flexible spending accounts, along with supplemental health plans
- 401K Plan to invest in your long-term retirement planning
- Generous Parental Leave
- Flexible Paid Time Off Policy
- Commuter & Parking Benefits
- Mental Health Resources
- Monthly phone stipend
- Daily provided lunches and stocked kitchens.
- Furry friends? We’ve got you covered with dog-friendly work environment & them with pet insurance options
Equal Opportunity Statement
Capella Space is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, and upholding equitable hiring practices.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic under federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you need assistance or require an accommodation during the job application process, please notify email@example.com