Director of Finance
We’re hiring a Director of Finance who will serve as our first in-house finance expert, reporting directly to the CEO, and will be one of the first 25 employees at the company. Following BusRight’s recent $7M Series A, we’re excited to welcome a Director of Finance to our leadership team who will spearhead financial planning processes, accounting operations, investment decision analyses, and development of business insights. You'll have the opportunity to not only influence the vision of the business but also help responsibly and intentionally grow the business through advanced financial modeling and the development of business cases for strategic growth opportunities. The ideal candidate is a finance leader experienced with SaaS businesses, accounting operations, and is passionate about fostering deep relationships with every department in the company.
More than 26 million students ride ~500,000 buses to and from school daily. That operation is managed by under-equipped teams that use pen & paper or legacy software to manage their day-to-day. We’re on a mission to make school buses safer and more efficient for families, schools, and communities nationwide with advanced routing technology, dynamic driver navigation, live GPS tracking, and real-time parent communication.
- Provide financial and strategic thought leadership supported by rigorous analysis, with a focus on business planning and capital allocation.
- Explore cost-effective ways to finance hardware and manage relationships with venture debt providers, equipment leasing firms, and banks.
- Develop reporting systems for senior leadership and other departments to accurately track financials, variance reporting, & KPIs.
- Support senior leadership by building forecasts and budgets, tracking performance, identifying risks and opportunities, and strategizing on business initiatives to accelerate growth.
- Extensive scenario modeling to drive strategic decisions on topics ranging from pricing, to cash impact from adjustments to payment terms, or changes in burn/runway based on different department spend/revenue targets.
- Serve as an overseer of back office finance systems and other accounting software applications; manage transformative initiatives aimed at substantially enhancing and automating financial workflows and controls.
- Manage all financial and accounting functions, including financial modeling, multi-year forecasting, budgeting, management of receivables and payables, purchasing process, payroll and expense management, cash management, and tax compliance and strategy.
- Manage all equity, debt, and banking functions, including cap table management/strategy and debt strategy.
What we're looking for
- 7+ years in a Finance role at a high-growth startup (preferably VC-backed companies) with experience running Accounting, Financial Operations, BizOps, and FP&A.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with an ability to build the Finance function in an ambitious, high-growth startup environment.
- Exceptionally strong Microsoft Excel financial modeling skills with a track record of building and maintaining sophisticated cash flow and GAAP-compliant budget models.
- Experience with venture financing and boardroom presentations.
- Willingness to be both player and coach in a small startup environment where everyone executes.
- Curious by nature and loves creative problem solving such as diving into large datasets to find patterns and creative ways to improve the business.
- Excellent leadership, customer service, organizational and presentation skills as well as the ability to effectively communicate the organization’s vision and motivate others to achieve it organizationally, departmentally, and personally/professionally.
- You can strike the right balance between creating documentation and automation with daily execution.
What you'll get
- Competitive Compensation: You’ll receive competitive equity + salary at a fast-growing startup poised to transform the largest mass transit system, school buses.
- Resources & Access: You'll be equipped with industry-leading tools and a network to grow personally and professionally. With investors, advisors, and team members eager to support your personal development, we will ensure you have the opportunity to learn from leaders who have built and financed iconic transportation + edtech companies such as Quizlet, Kayak, & Uber.
- Strategic Influence: Working side-by-side with our leadership team, you’ll have an opportunity to design our finance department from the ground up, create new processes, implement effective tooling, and more.
- A Scrappy Team That Puts Customers First: BusRighters and student transportation leaders are down-to-earth, compassionate, and fun individuals to be around who come from various backgrounds - from seasoned transportation leaders to ambitious technologists. You’ll have support from the whole team in your efforts - from our operations & sales leaders to our product managers & engineers.
We believe a diverse team makes us more effective in serving our diverse stakeholder communities. As a result, we're committed to fostering an inclusive environment that welcomes team members of all ages, races, backgrounds, ethnicities, and more. Simply put, our employees, customers, and team win when we have various perspectives and backgrounds at the table making key decisions. If you have a disability (visible or invisible) or if there is anything we can do to make you more comfortable during our recruitment process, please let us know by reaching out to firstname.lastname@example.org.