OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Project Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
NASA chose Axiom Space to develop its next-generation astronaut spacesuits for the Artemis lunar missions. These new spacesuits built by Axiom Space will provide astronauts with advanced capabilities for space exploration, while providing commercially developed human systems needed to access, live, and work in microgravity as well as on and around the Moon.
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Project Engineer who will primarily be responsible for assisting with the scheduling, planning, resourcing, and managing technical activities to ensure assigned projects are completed on time and within specification. The Project Engineer is responsible for the engineering and technical disciplines of assigned projects and will establish criteria for the proper implementation of all the elements of a project. This position reports to the Sr Manager, Ax Power, Avionics & Controls. This role is onsite and will be based at our Gemini facility.
Axiom Space has more than one opening for this role.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads and/or facilitates all phases of the project – research, design, procurement, assembly, integration, test, operations, etc., in alignment with our core value of leading.
- Develops, tracks, and manages project forecast, scope, risks, and schedule for all projects assigned.
- Responsible for internal collaboration, review, and integration of project development, in alignment with our core value of together.
- Responsible for the execution, management, and collaboration of project procurement activities (which includes preparation and negotiation of requirements and design specifications, proposals, quotes, contracts, change orders, and invoices with General Contractors, Designers, Procurement, and Vendors).
- Provides oversight, guidance and collaboration with internal team departments, general contractors, designers, vendors to ensure they are staying within project scope, budget, and schedule, demonstrating our competency of organization support.
- Review plans, inspects fabrications, conducts investigations, and provides recommendations as necessary to assure compliance with established requirements, regulations, guidelines, and procedures, in alignment with our core value of integrity.
- Facilitates and/or coordinates all meetings with project teams – design/test teams, architects, contractors, legal counsel, procurement, quality, safety, etc.
- Tracks, updates and provide recommendations for change orders, in alignment with our core value of innovation.
- Monitors/reports/makes recommendations for ongoing development projects, demonstrating our competency of communications.
- Identification, management and communication of project and program-related risks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field
- 10+ years of experience in an engineering field with aerospace or mechanical experience to include hardware development and design or a combined equivalent combination of education and experience
- Technical, functional, and/or project lead experience in systems engineering or a related technical field
- Project management experience
- Experience leading negotiations with contract/vendors, procurement, and legal processes
- Experience with NASA in spacecraft design and human system integration
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and produce timely results
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.