Software Safety Engineer, Senior
Axiom Space is building for beyond, guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. The leading provider of human spaceflight services and developer of human-rated space infrastructure, Axiom Space operates end-to-end missions to the International Space Station today while developing its successor, Axiom Station – a permanent commercial destination in low-Earth orbit that will sustain human growth off the planet and bring untold benefits back home.
Axiom Space fosters a diverse environment inclusive of all perspectives. We are the pioneers of commercial space, leading the transformation of low-Earth orbit into a global space marketplace. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Software Safety Engineer who is fueled by problem-solving, continuously curious, and driven to understand our world, science/technology and life itself, for the benefit of all on Earth and beyond.
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Software Safety Engineer working with the Engineering, Safety, Reliability and Quality team in Houston, Texas, and be an integral participant in the design/development/qualification/verification process with human space systems at Axiom. In this role, you will work with a multi-disciplinary team of project leaders, managers, engineers, safety engineers, mission assurance engineers, quality assurance engineers and representatives from each of the subsystems in an agile development environment to ensure adherence to design, manufacturing, testing, and qualification standards/requirements to eliminate or minimize risk in support of the Axiom xEVAS and human rated spacecraft Programs. In addition, ensuring the implementation of a robust quality management system in those Programs and throughout the organization. The role requires a commitment to safety, quality, time management, risk-based decision making and communication skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop quality assurance processes and procedures relative to the design, qualification, manufacture, inspection, test, and acceptance of products to ensure products adhere to defined requirements and standards aligned with our core value of integrity at Axiom
- Maintain training program for the Axiom organizations in the aspects of Quality and the Quality Management System (QMS)
- Maintain Quality Management System (QMS) for compliance to AS 9100 and CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration)
- Support Review Board process for non-conforming materials and products, as necessary
- Support various working groups and panels specializing in anomaly/Nonconformance resolution ensuring the Corrective/Preventative Action Plan (CAP) implementation is in alignment with our competency of teamwork within Axiom
- Support internal audits, submit findings, recommend Corrective Action Requests (CARs), and ensure timely completion of audits in alignment with our competency of organizational support
- Conduct product and process assessments/audits for compliance that support continuous improvements aligning with our core value of innovation at Axiom
- Support the organization in achieving and maintaining a Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) level certification in software development
- Develop quality reports/presentations and perform other Safety and Mission Assurance (S&MA) tasks as necessary
- Maintain and improve quality processes and procedures
- Implement and ensure adherence to the nonconformance process that ensures nonconformances are investigated, trends are tracked, and issues resolved in alignment with our problem solving competency at Axiom
- Review and analyze drawings/models, specifications, standards and conformance criteria for product adherence
- Develop S&MA reports/status/presentations to S&MA and program leadership in alignment with our quality management system to support the objectives and goals of S&MA in alignment with our organizational communication competency
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- 7+ years of experience in Quality Assurance for human spaceflight
- Experience in performing AS 9100 audits and assessments
- Experience in maintaining a CMMI level rating in software development is desired but not required
- Working knowledge of AS 9100 and CMMI
- Knowledge of Quality Management System (QMS) and quality processes related to the aerospace industry
- Knowledge of Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI)
- Ability to plan, perform analyses, and report results in relationship to the quality requirements, product and process assessments, qualification, inspection, test, audit, trends, and improvement of products
- Experience in the EMU (Extravehicular Mobility Unit) project or the EVA (Extravehicular Activity) program is desired but not required
- Experience in the management of and tracking of tasks, activities and milestones in JIRA and Confluence
- Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment.
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.