Technical Communications and Media Systems Support Engineer
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Technical Communications and Media Systems Support Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Technical Communications and Media Systems Support Engineer who will primarily be responsible for the innovation and integration of communications and media systems for private astronaut missions (PAM) and the future Axiom Station that support space-to-ground outreach and STEAM efforts, and further develop and support the Technical Communications and Media Systems console in Axiom Mission Control (MCC-A). This position interfaces with the Mission Integration & Operations team and Engineering, including government agencies and commercial partners. This position reports to the Technical Communications and Media Systems Lead. This role is onsite and will be based at our Houston HQ facility.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Innovate new communications and media systems (video, still photography and audio equipment, software, streaming, and establishing streamlined wireless/wired configurations) for PAMs and Axiom Station, and manage current systems, including their maintenance, integration, required planning documentation, and be able to troubleshoot quickly and efficiently during missions; evaluate and implements communications and media systems upgrades and changes.
- Assist to define concept of operations for communications and media system roles – any video and audio communications for PAMs/Axiom Station and the MCC-A Flight Control Team, protocols, downlink/uplink streams, etc.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation for communications and media systems, including training crew and ground support personnel.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners and vendors to define and develop software and hardware technology demonstrations through operational use that support communications and media systems, and applicable software interfaces for other flight control and engineering systems.
- Serve as a mission lead by owning the planning and integration of mission objectives, priorities, and activities that support public outreach, commercial/marketing/revenue, STEAM education efforts which includes following the established processes, developing operations products, meeting requirements and deadlines, identifying improvements and addressing lessons learned both internally and with government agencies and commercial partners.
- Participate in matrixed opportunities and dependencies with Axiom Revenue, Marketing and Communications team.
- Provide excellent customer service to all employees and private astronauts’ needs, concerns, or questions, demonstrating our competency of organizational support and subject matter expertise.
- Resolve and develop solutions for escalated concerns and challenges in processes and serving our customers; uncover the root cause(s) and takes action to mitigate future discrepancies; and communicates findings and actions to leadership.
- Produce and present planning and integration progress to management and executive leadership.
- Develops knowledge and expertise to serve as a department SME, including learning new tasks to gain deeper knowledge and insight, demonstrating our value of leading.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in media production, live entertainment technology, telecommunications or related field
- Deep knowledge of various video, audio, and still photography equipment, streaming required
- 7+ years’ experience in media production, live entertainment technology, telecommunications or a combined equivalent of education and experience
- Background in API development and/or UI/UX interfacing desired
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies
- Knowledge of human spaceflight, the space industry, and a NASA background a plus
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task on multiple projects
- Ability to thrive in a fast environment and produce timely results
- Ability to demonstrate strong attention to detail
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.