This posting is intended to be an INTERNAL ONLY job posting.
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Space Communications Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
NASA chose Axiom Space to develop its next-generation astronaut spacesuits for the Artemis lunar missions. These new spacesuits built by Axiom Space will provide astronauts with advanced capabilities for space exploration, while providing commercially developed human systems needed to access, live, and work in microgravity as well as on and around the Moon.
The Space Communications Engineer will be responsible for working with team members and external vendors to specify and design a space-to-space and space-to-ground communication systems and associated licensing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position will play a key role in the design and specification of RF communication systems for commercial human spaceflight modules.
- Responsibilities will include interfacing with NASA and commercial vendors for defining communication requirements, in alignment with our core value of together.
- Calculate RF link budgets and system performance, demonstrating our competency of cost-consciousness.
- Support obtaining necessary licenses from FCC or other required agencies, in alignment with our core value of integrity and demonstrating our competency of ethics.
- Support NASA milestone reviews including PDR, CDR, SDR, FRR, etc., demonstrating our competency of organizational support.
QUALIFICATIONS:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, math, or science or STEM-related field required.
- 6+ years of experience in RF systems design (with a preference for work in support of space missions) or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience with spectrum management and RF spectrum regulations and licensing
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost-saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment.
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.