Software Engineer Lead
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Software Engineer Lead who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
NASA chose Axiom Space to develop its next-generation astronaut spacesuits for the Artemis lunar missions. These new spacesuits built by Axiom Space will provide astronauts with advanced capabilities for space exploration, while providing commercially developed human systems needed to access, live, and work in microgravity as well as on and around the Moon.
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Software Engineer Lead who will lead the design, development, and test of electronics for Axiom’s EVA Spacesuit. The role requires strong problem solving, organizational, time management, and communication skills.
Axiom Space has more than one opening for this role.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the team that develop, test, and deploy hardware and software that control Life Support Systems
- Establish strong working relationships with Axiom Leadership Team, Systems Engineering, respective internal/external stakeholders, and NASA customers, in alignment with our core value of together
- Lead, collaborate and conduct program design and safety reviews with internal Axiom development teams and NASA customers for commercial spacesuit development
- Provide or lead project management efforts for managing, and mitigating schedule, budget, and risk activities, demonstrating our competency of organizational support.
- Write Statements of Work and manage vendors in Level of Effort and Milestone contracts
- Provide guidance for hardware and software systems, technical discussions, organization, and architecture development, demonstrating our competency of communications
- Conduct brainstorming, training, and mentoring activities for staff, in alignment with our core value of innovation
Participate in new program proposals and initiatives, in alignment with our core value of innovation
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in aerospace, electrical engineering, computer engineering, or similar STEM-related degree
- 10- 15 years’ experience in flight hardware development or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience leading technical teams larger than 10 people.
- Experience in Life Support Systems or other Criticality 1 development and testing of hardware and software.
- Prior experience in formal test and verification activities including flight software.
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment.
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.