Structures Lead - Portable Life Support System
Job Title: Space Suit Portable Life Support System Structures Lead
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Space Suit Portable Life Support System Engineer who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
NASA chose Axiom Space to develop its next-generation astronaut spacesuits for the Artemis lunar missions. These new spacesuits built by Axiom Space will provide astronauts with advanced capabilities for space exploration, while providing commercially developed human systems needed to access, live, and work in microgravity as well as on and around the Moon.
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Space Suit Portable Life Support System Structures Lead who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom’s Portable Life Support System team with the development of PLSS hardware. We are looking for an individual with a strong technical background who excels at problem solving. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a collaborative team developing Axiom’s Structures of the Portable Life Support System for low Earth orbit and beyond demonstrating our value of together
- Provide systems and technical engineering support to improve outcomes for the Structures group
- Collaborates to develop and maintain work tasks, schedules, and test plans for the Structures group
- Perform trade studies for technology development demonstrating our competency of organizational support
- Analyze data and make recommendations for improvement demonstrating our value of leading
- Develop and manage requirements for PLSS hardware with agility
- Ensure designs satisfy requirements and demonstrate performance in a thorough verification and validation program and develops solutions
- Performs other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related field required
- 7+ years’ experience in life support engineering, hardware development, or similar role preferred. A combined equivalent of education and experience may also be considered.
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to demonstrate strong attention to detail
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.