Mission Operations Engineer, Payloads
OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it.
Summary: The Mission Integration and Operations Engineer for Payloads will report to the Director of Payload Science Integration and Operations and be responsible for collaborating with the payload integration, payload mission management, and payload engineering groups to influence design and develop operational concepts, processes, on-orbit procedures, flight rules, software tools, console support documents, conduct real-time operations, and troubleshooting required to support Private Astronaut Mission operations and Axiom Station assembly and operations execution. The Mission Integration and Operations Engineer will also support as a certified console operator in one or more disciplines.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Private Astronaut Mission (PAM) Mission Planning and Execution
- Support the Axiom Research Officer flight control discipline to train and fly real-time Private Astronaut Missions (PAM) as part of the operations team at Axiom Space demonstrating our competency of together.
- Aid in the development of the Private Astronaut Mission (PAM) flight control team’s operations, processes, procedures, tools, console support products, training, certification, and on-orbit procedures for the Axiom Research Officer position.
- Participate in development of Axiom’s overall approach to all required mission operations and integration via thoroughly researched options, experience/expertise, and sound rationale in alignment with our core value of ingenuity.
Axiom Station Flight Controller Support
- Assist in the development of Axiom Station payload subsystem operations.
- Provide payload operations inputs to the development of flight software, payload system computers, crew user interface, commercial communication system, and payload support network.
- Perform preflight training, planning, product development, and operations concepts development for Axiom Station payload related subsystems (e.g. glovebox, freezer, etc.).
- Interface with external partners to ensure Axiom Station is meeting requirements and schedule goals and support verification testing.
- Support real-time missions as part of the 24/7/365 operations team at Axiom Space in alignment with our value of organizational support.
- Develop applicable Axiom Station system team’s operations concept, processes, procedures, tools, console support products, group documentation, training, certification, and on-orbit procedures.
- Collaborates with the mission planning teams to develop applicable Axiom Station integration products including mission timelines and procedures.
- Participate in the development, management, and implementation of training plans for operations personnel at Axiom Space to cover real-time decision making, verbal communications, system technical knowledge and application, and failure response training.
- Perform other systems integration tasks as required, including bringing operational perspectives to systems architecture meetings, daily interaction with systems engineering test and verification teams, and leading discussions of operational significance to the program at various forums.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate's experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related STEM field required
- 5 to 10 years of relevant work experience in real-time space/mission operations
- 1 to 3 years payload operations and integration experience (desired)
- Ability to communicate effectively cross functionally and with outside organizations
- Detailed understanding of orbital mechanics and space station proximity operations
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret, create, and execute contents of complex written documents
- Ability to understand and apply advanced logistical, scientific, technical, and/or mathematical concepts
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, define goals, set priorities & deadlines, identify key stakeholders, clearly communicate requirements of the position
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment and communicate effectively with all stakeholders and across disciplines
- Ability to create operational concepts, processes, procedures, desktop instructions, presentations, training materials, and certification guides
- Ability to effectively use industry standard software tools and programs, with a desire to innovate and push boundaries in how they are utilized, including but not limited to design, development, training, visualization, inventory management, logistics, data analytics, and project management
- Relevant Active-Duty Military Operations will be considered
- Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.