Senior Backend Engineer
Founded in 2015 and headquartered in London and New York, Attest is a consumer research SaaS platform for the world’s biggest and fastest growing brands. Attest’s easy-to-use, self-serve dashboard is coupled with on-demand research expertise, empowering anyone to quickly conduct high-quality research and be continuously tapped into the consumer.
Some of the notable brands leveraging continuous insights to put the consumer’s voice at the center of their business with Attest include Unilever, Santander, Walgreens/Boots, Klarna, Brew Dr. Kombucha, Trustpilot, JCDecaux among many others. To date, Attest has raised $90 million in venture capital with backing from investors such as Kismet, Schroders, and NEA. To learn more about Attest, visit www.askattest.com.
The mission for this role
The Senior Back End Engineer role at Attest puts you at the heart of architectural decision-making, requiring solid technical skills, clear and concise communication, with good product and user understanding - this role will allow you to lead various topics, collaborate with other functions and build a better rich experience for both our users and engineers.
You'll be working in a cross-functional product squad, with Product, Design and Data Science on a modern tech stack, including: Go, Java, Kafka, Postgres as well as integrations with our external providers. Our cross-functional teams collaborate with stakeholders across the business to help deliver value to our customers.
Alongside working within your Product Squad, you'll play an active part in our Back End Engineer Chapter. You'll collaborate with the other Back End Engineers across the squads to improve how we work, maintain and raise code standards, pair with your colleagues, review and contribute to written proposals, take part in community learning sessions like lunch & learn or tech talks, and mentor others.
Your focus will be to...
- As a Senior Back End Engineer, you will work within a squad collaborating with the whole team to identify and create best-in-class products.
- Improve engineering efficiency by looking at patterns, tooling, CI and processes
- Participate in planning, stand-ups and retrospectives.
- Coach other engineers alongside regular work
- Design and implement highly efficient architecture that scales for our data and user demand.
- Explore innovative ways to solve problems, and become an expert in complex systems.
- Deliver features regularly, be comfortable with ambiguity, and push for code quality while balancing pace vs perfection.
- Play an active part in our backend chapter.
We’d love to hear from you if…
- Have worked as a Backend Engineer, a Senior Backend Engineer.
- Would like the autonomy to find the best solutions that deliver value to customers
- Want to rapidly deliver valuable software both internally and externally
- Prefer simplicity over complexity in software systems
- Are passionate about working with other engineers and cross-functional teams
- You have expertise in either Golang or Java or any similar language, worked with databases like PostgreSQL / mySQL / DynamoDB / Redi and have an exposure to infrastructure technologies like Kubernetes, AWS, Kafka or Terraform.
Our benefits programme is designed with a focus on the wellbeing, engagement and growth of our people.
Please see our list of benefits below:
- EMI share options in the company so that as the business succeeds, so do you!
- Benefits to support your career development and growth, including a career growth and development budget of £20 per month which can be accrued over the year. We’ll even give you £300 to set up your home office.
- 25 days paid holiday per year, increasing to 26 after 3 years service and 27 after 4 years service. This is in addition to local public holidays and an additional average of 2 days off during the festive season. You can also take one month's fully paid sabbatical after 4 years service.
- We offer benefits that support your physical and mental health. These include enhanced sick pay, a £40 per month wellness allowance to spend on things that matter to your wellbeing which can be spent on a monthly basis or saved up for larger purchases over the year, and access to private and confidential coaching via Sanctus.
- Family-friendly policies from your first day of employment, such as enhanced parental leave with primary careers receiving 18 weeks fully paid leave and secondary careers receiving 4 weeks full pay. We also have a fertility treatment and family support policy which include paid leave for those going through treatment and their partners. Should the worst happen, we have a pregnancy loss policy with paid time off to support you through this time.
- Spend up to 2 paid days per month – we call it 10% time – giving back to your community or supporting your favourite charity.
- To help you save for your retirement, you’ll be auto-enrolled to our group pension plan through Penfold when you join. You can maximise your pension contribution through the salary sacrifice scheme.
- Receive support whenever you need it with our Employee Assistance Programme, Care First, available 24/7.
- Work from anywhere – spend up to 80 days per year working abroad +/-4 hours from London
- An open, inclusive and supportive team where everyone is valued and all ideas and suggestions are welcomed.
In-person and remote working balance ...
We are a collaborative bunch and know the value of solving problems together. We’ve adopted a hybrid working approach, where employees split their time between the office and their home / alternative place of work. Typically Attesters are in the office 2 days per week with the days and times in the office being agreed with the employee and the line manager. This may also vary week to week based on the employee's workload and calendar.
We’re also mindful that flexible working arrangements can make a big difference for a variety of reasons and encourage Attesters to let us know if flexible working will enable the best balance for them.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The world’s best companies mirror the world around them. We are building an Attest that brings together, and actively celebrates, diversity in race, age, physical and mental ability, sexuality, gender identity and perspectives. Every Attester should feel they belong as their complete selves. We make an active choice to acknowledge and remove systematic inequality from our people and talent processes. We don't claim to have this all figured out yet, but it’s a journey we are fully accountable to.
With this in mind, data shows that individuals from minority groups typically only apply if they meet every criteria listed. Based upon this insight, we wanted to take this opportunity to encourage individuals who meet some, but not all criteria to still apply as you may be the right person for the role!